Kitchen Cabinet Door hitting adjacent Tall Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just finished installing my kitchen and have a slight snagging issue.

I've got a tall unit in the corner with an integrated fridge/freezer inside it. Next to that I've got a 1000mm wide wall unit with two overlay doors. The doors each have a 437mm bar handle running along the bottom of the door.

The problem I have is that when I try to open the right hand door of the wall unit the handle hits the adjacent tall unit after only opening 1/3 of the way. It's also only a matter of time before damage is done to the tall unit by someone opening the wall unit door too far.

I was hoping to try and find some different cabinet hinges that would open the door and move it away from the tall unit as the door is opened. I've searched like mad on google but can't find anything... Does anything like that exist or has anybody else got any other ideas or solutions?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Adam

Sponsored Links
Thats an installation error not a snag, are the units in question on the same wall? not clear from description, pic's worth a thousand words as they say.

Agreed, more of a design/layout/installation error!

All the units are on the same wall. It's a galley kitchen, so long and narrow.

I thought I could change the 1000 wall unit over to 2 x 500 units instead. That way I could put the hinges on the other side, allowing me to open the cupboard door in the opposite direction. That would mean taking the 1000 wall unit down, extractor fan down and then buy/install 2 x 500 wall units.

I was hoping they'd be a simpler solution!

Any ideas?

Mount the hinge on the centre post of the 1000 unit so the door swings away from the tall unit, not quite as practical to use but its the only way without putting a spacer between tall & 1000 unit.

Its not usually such a problem with knobs but bar handles will cause problems

Jason

Sponsored Links
Or possible put a set of ordinary hinges on the inside joining the two doors turning them into a bifold door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back