normal fridge freezer into an integrated cabinet ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have a free standing fridge freezer (width 60cm) which we would like to convert into an integrated cabinet in our new kitchen.

Does anyone have any idea how I might achieve this given the kitchen units will come from Ikea and the widest tall cabinet is 60 cm.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your main concern should be airflow. Intergrated units are designed for the purpose, they could have a more powerful compressor or even fan assisted cooling.
If you do build it into a cabinet, ensure you have as much airflow under the bottom which should lead to a chimney effect at the rear, (sides are not so important). This chimney effect should be open all the way up (pass any top cupboard etc).

If it is 60cm wide I think you will have to fabricate something. You can use the sides off a tall housing but will have to bodge up the top and any intermediate shelves. you might do better to stand the FF on the floor and buiild the cab round it. Fasten the sides to the adjacent cabs to stop any movement. Have a slight space at the sides to prevent annoying vibration noise.

Thanks both both replies.

My biggest challenge will be finding a door wide enough to fit/match!

Sponsored Links
Ask the supplier of the cab doors if they sell a Decor Panel. This is a thin sheet with the same finish as the cab doors. You can fix then to appliance doors in various ways. They are often retained by a metal angle round the appliance door. They can be glued on but you need to protect the edges from catching.

SJRSJR said:
We have a free standing fridge freezer (width 60cm) which we would like to convert into an integrated cabinet in our new kitchen.
The inside of a standard cabinet is actually 570mm side to side (600mm LESS 2 x 15mm side thicknesses) so unless your f/f is that width or narrower, you've had it, I'd say - build a wider cabinet and where are you going to get a door to fit?

Scrit

Scrit said:
SJRSJR said:
The inside of a standard cabinet is actually 570mm side to side (600mm LESS 2 x 15mm side thicknesses) so unless your f/f is that width or narrower, you've had it, I'd say - build a wider cabinet and where are you going to get a door to fit?

Scrit

The man's said it all.

Unless you build your own cabinet and make a door that will match the rest of the kitchen it can't be done.

Either stick the fridge on ebay and buy an integrated one, or just have it on view.

What is it with the the current obsession with hiding all appliances behind doors?

I don't get it.

Cheers
Don

[quote="DonKiddick
What is it with the the current obsession with hiding all appliances behind doors?

[/quote]

Yeah, confused the heck out of me at a party at my boss's new gaff. Spent ages trying to find the sodding fridge (NEEDED beer). Was hidden under the worktop next to the washing machine! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back