Replacing integrated with free standing fridge freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an old, integrated, fridge freezer in an enclosure next to a wall. The enclosure is just over 60cm wide and 214cm tall. I would like to remove the enclosure entirely, trimming down the plinth below the fridge, and install a wider, taller, free standing, fridge freezer (203x60).

I am concerned that the neighbouring cupboards (one below the granite worktop, one above), may be relying on the fridge enclosure for lateral support. Similarly for the granite worktop. In other words, if I remove the fridge enclosure, is the rest of the structure likely to collapse on a heap on the floor?

I would appreciate any views/experience with this kind of thing, in case it's a potential nightmare that I'm better off not even considering.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190521_132753.jpg
    20190521_132753.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 359
Sponsored Links
Harrie
Very unlikley that any worktop load is put onto the Fridge enclosure.
All load should be taken by ALL the enclosures under the worktop.
To satisfy yourself, open the door on the cabinate under the worktop on the right most side.
It will be a square box, taking the load above.
Pull off the plinth under this cabinate.
There should be four legs taking load of above worktop and cabinate box onto the ground.

The one above is harder to tell from image, but should be self supporting. Open its door and look at top left and right internal corners and see if there are any fixings onto the wall behind.
SFK

Granite top sits on base units, wall unit and fridge housing may be screwed together but should hang independently .

Sponsored Links
Thanks both. There seems to be a screw between the cupboards and the fridge enclosure wall, but it doesn't look to be a main supporting connection, which is good news. thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back