Kitchen Cabinets and Boiler Hung on Thermalite Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to hang kitchen cabinets and a boiler onto a wall of lightweight thermalite blocks faced with dot and dabbed plasterboard. Finding a suitable way of doing this seems like the search for the Holy Grail!

The best methods I have heard of so far are:

1) cutting out a 2 in square of plasterboard around the mounting point and filling flush with dot+dab adhesive (the rock hard stuff). Then using a regular plastic rawlplug with a 3 in screw going through the pad and into the block.

2) Using epoxy resin to fix a threaded bolt.

In fact 1) was employed in the house during the original build but I keep worrying the plasterboard adhesive pad will break off the block in a large piece and take the fixing with it.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Are there any kitchen fitters out there who must face this problem all the time!

Thanks,

Robert

Sponsored Links
CORGI registered then? :oops: Just testing.... Use frame fixings..the load is "shear" and not pulling out of the wall. Done it a few times and the small gap is not a problem (twix the wall and the plasterboard.):cool:

CORGI registered then?

I ended up posting the same question on the Plumbing board (well the boiler part anyway) and I found out that you do indeed need to be Corgi registered to hang the boiler or 'the competent homeowner'. I never wanted to install the boiler myself BTW.

I ended up deciding to leave it all to the plumber (who is registered) rather than trying to save a few quid by doing it myself.

Thanks for the info anyway as I still have to hang the cupboards.

Robert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back