kitchen cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posted this here as not sure what category it comes under. I want to tile part of my kitchen wall prior to fitting the cabinets. I will allow a few inches of tile to extend behind the cabinets. Apart from having to space the wall cabinets away from the wall to take account of the tile thickness, are there any other problems with doing this?

Sponsored Links
Why not fit the cabinetts first, I know doing the tiling first you wont have to cut as many tiles, but cutting the tiles is the easy bit.

if you do tile behind the bottom you may have to pad out the fixing points by the same amount[ dependant on type] to level the cabinets

I know the obvious thing would be to tile after fitting the cabinets. However, I am going to use large floor tiles on the walls as well and with the cabinets in place I would have to do quite a lot of fiddly cutting including at least six "L" shapes. It also means I can fix them at the same time as the floor. Thanks for the replies anyway.

Sponsored Links
I think you are taking a risk of breaking the tiles on either drilling, if you need to do this, or on screwing them to the wall very hard. Think if a tile is not quite bedded right, you would be trying to bend it like beck'm'
If you mark a guide sheet where to cut- wouldn't the supplier cut them for you?

You can hire a machine, cut them as required. Its very easy. A bit messy though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back