kitchen cold water not directly from mains?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
WP_20190429_10_48_54_Pro cold wat.jpg
hi,

we just moved into our renovated house and also installed a megaflo type system with all hot water at mains pressure. Our system has 2 expansion small tanks for the experts here. I have noticed that the garden tap seems to be fed directly from the mains which is good. However the same is not true for the kitchen tap. I have proven this by turning off a stopcock and the garden water stops running cold water and vice versa with another stopcock and the kitchen tap (kitchen stops, garden running water).

The extra kitchen connection/ diversion, may just be a balancer as I can see that the kitchen's cold water supply stops short from going into the expansion tank. But am worried that our water is contaminated as not directly from the mains.

Is this normal and should I worry about it? Thank you!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would think it is actually on mains, just run the tap then go to the tanks you speak of and see if one of them is running, to replace the water coming from your cold tap

2 small expansion tanks? Are they linked together with a pipe? What central heating system do you have? If you are onto mains hot water then I would be surprised to find any cold outlets that would still be gravity fed.

Another check would be to find the outside mains stop tap and shut that down, if that stops the kitchen tap then it's on the main. Or ask the guys that renovated the house, they must have had a plumber who did the required works who can tell you??

2 small expansion tanks? Are they linked together with a pipe? What central heating system do you have? If you are onto mains hot water then I would be surprised to find any cold outlets that would still be gravity fed.

Another check would be to find the outside mains stop tap and shut that down, if that stops the kitchen tap then it's on the main. Or ask the guys that renovated the house, they must have had a plumber who did the required works who can tell you??

this is a megaflo system with high pressure everywhere in the house. The 2 expansion tanks are small cylinders fully enclosed which regulate the water pressure i understand. When i turn on the kitchen tap there is noise from the expansion tank area. same is not true with garden tap which seems to be directly from the mains. Thank you

Sponsored Links
As Madrab said ,its highly unlikely that your cold tap is tank fed ,given that the whole house is high pressure hot water.

If it’s renovated, then maybe an old outside toilet has been decommissionedand used the coldsupply to stop a deadleg,that way independent cold water supplies. Try as madrab said, turn off outside, would give an indication.

If it’s renovated, then maybe an old outside toilet has been decommissionedand used the coldsupply to stop a deadleg,that way independent cold water supplies. Try as madrab said, turn off outside, would give an indication.

Hi, I have attached a pic showing in blue where is the cold water supply that feeds the kitchen tap. So it seems to divert before it goes to the grey regulator switch but as I said the pipe that feeds the garden tap is straight from the mains. Thank you again.
WP_20190429_10_48_54_Pro cold wat.jpg

That doesn't make sense, the pipe marked blue coming in the from the left, goes vertical and then right into a blue lever iso valve, then where does it go, it doesn't go into that vertical pipe as there's no coupler. Unless it then drops down a little and goes into the back of the combination valve for the un-vented? if so that's the balanced cold supply that the kitchen tap and the other cold taps should be running from anyway. Does shutting off the blue lever shut down the kitchen?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back