Kitchen Mains fed from tank?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi there

moved into a new build. Have always wondered why the cold tap in the kitchen seems to feed water that is not very cold (Even when ran for a good few mins)

Realised today that when I run the cold tap , a pump beside a tank in the attic activates which makes me think it’s feeding water from this tank which would have a higher ambient temp than mains water, and is not then mains water.

there is a tap outside and when i open this It does not activate the same pump and the water is good and cold (and much higher pressure too

The questions I have are :
should the kitchen tap be fed from the supply in the attic or direct from mains?

or am I assessing the situation incorrectly and is there simple a way to find out for sure how it is fed?

here in Dublin, Ireland in case that has a bearing on regs.

thanks

Sponsored Links
should the kitchen tap be fed from the supply in the attic or direct from mains?

Drinking water should be direct from mains,

Water from the attic could be contaminated by anything that got into the tank and then died by drowning

Drinking water should be direct from mains,

Water from the attic could be contaminated by anything that got into the tank and then died by drowning
Yeah this was my thinking.
In my case, Is there a definitive way I can validate that water in kitchen is not mains fed? And also, are there regs that I can equip myself with to step to the developer and make them remedy this issue?

(FYI the tank appears to be a sealed unit)

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks.
Are there actual regulations for this that I can use to force the developer to resolve ?

Yes, a new build shouldn't pass regs sign off if at least one tap within the building wasn't fed by the mains to provide drinking water (usually the kitch sink tap). Certainly in the UK. Not sure if Ireland would be any different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back