Kitchen cooker hood: recirculating or with long extraction duct?

Go for round, single lengths if at all possible, but if it must be rectangular could you get alloy to avoid rusting and or seal the joints with clear mastic? A sheet metal fabricator, could probably make longer sections, in the metal of your choice and for not much more than ready rolled. Would round work, if it were squished down a bit into an oval, then boxed in? Air ducting I have seen on commercial sites, comes in lengths of many metres - the type with a spiral seam all the way along.

The holes in airbricks are quite narrow, so will dramatically impede the air flow, so a bad idea. Use a panel which includes a gravity closing system, to prevent wind blowing in, but opens with air flow out. Mine works well, just a single circular flap, pivoted above the flap centre.

Sponsored Links
Go for round, single lengths if at all possible, but if it must be rectangular could you get alloy to avoid rusting and or seal the joints with clear mastic? A sheet metal fabricator, could probably make longer sections, in the metal of your choice and for not much more than ready rolled. Would round work, if it were squished down a bit into an oval, then boxed in? Air ducting I have seen on commercial sites, comes in lengths of many metres - the type with a spiral seam all the way along.

The holes in airbricks are quite narrow, so will dramatically impede the air flow, so a bad idea. Use a panel which includes a gravity closing system, to prevent wind blowing in, but opens with air flow out. Mine works well, just a single circular flap, pivoted above the flap centre.

I was looking at PVC ducting, rectangular in the kitchen (as with the current kitchen design I only have 7 cm between top of cabinets and ceiling), possibly rectangular in the utility room and then convert to circular before meeting the external wall, or convert to circular as soon as it enters the utility room

Another route I am considering now is going up into the ceiling void in the kitchen and then straight out horizontally (the ceiling void is higher than the external flat roof); that will dramatically reduce the run length
I have a scheme here, hopefully it’s clear (thanks to my phone’s LiDaR scanner)

Attachments

• 84DB75AA-2B30-4504-8F9C-EF23B01BBBAA.jpeg
    84DB75AA-2B30-4504-8F9C-EF23B01BBBAA.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 78
Another route I am considering now is going up into the ceiling void in the kitchen and then straight out horizontally (the ceiling void is higher than the external flat roof); that will dramatically reduce the run length
I have a scheme here, hopefully it’s clear (thanks to my phone’s LiDaR scanner)

I have not been able to make much sense of the scan, but might you be able to mix and match between the two routes? Up into void, then bring it down gradually through the utility room ceiling, then through the wall?

I have not been able to make much sense of the scan, but might you be able to mix and match between the two routes? Up into void, then bring it down gradually through the utility room ceiling, then through the wall?

Basically if I go up into the ceiling void above the kitchen and then horizontally through the wall I'm already outside, just above the flat roof of the utility room

(In the picture I've drawn also the other route)

Sponsored Links
Basically if I go up into the ceiling void above the kitchen and then horizontally through the wall I'm already outside, just above the flat roof of the utility room

(In the picture I've drawn also the other route)

So, is there space to install an out on that wall, without disturbing the flashing of the flat roof - if so, that seems like your best plan.

I am looking at 204mmx60mm rectangular ducting and they only come in 1m lenghts...
Find a different supplier. The first 204 x 60 supplier I Googled (Greenmill) do 1.5mm in 204 x 60mm. If you go to 220 x 90 you'll get 2m lengths. Lindab do semi flexible round duct in 63 and 75mm with a smooth internal bore in lengths of 5m

I've seen them screwed together (pan head self tappers into pilot holes). Silicon caulk to seal

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding the second picture
upload_2021-12-18_13-19-35.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2021-12-18_13-19-14.jpeg
    upload_2021-12-18_13-19-14.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 51
You can get wall outlets to directly fit onto flat rectangular ducting - just not from TS (I thought you were using flat rectangulat ducting). Always best to get the ductwork and the vent from the same manufacturer

You can get wall outlets to directly fit onto flat rectangular ducting - just not from TS (I thought you were using flat rectangulat ducting). Always best to get the ductwork and the vent from the same manufacturer

I am converting from rectangular to round ducting in the ceiling void as it’s easier to drill a round hole than a rectangular one (the external walls are render on blocks)

You could always just make a collar from closed cell foam, like a Fossa Caulk Saver or similar, then silicone it in place. Even expanding foam (ideally the low expansion stuff) would work. Comprand would also do the job but is a bit pricy for a one off job like this

You could always just make a collar from closed cell foam, like a Fossa Caulk Saver or similar, then silicone it in place. Even expanding foam (ideally the low expansion stuff) would work. Comprand would also do the job but is a bit pricy for a one off job like this

I guess if I just seal the round section of pipe to the wall with expanding foam, then it doesn’t matter if the pipe and the outlet plate aren’t sealed between them

It looks like I’ll have to drill through the flashing despite my earlier conclusion
Is this a bad idea or can it be made watertight again once the pipe is in place?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back