Kitchen cooker hood: recirculating or with long extraction duct?

I guess if I just seal the round section of pipe to the wall with expanding foam, then it doesn’t matter if the pipe and the outlet plate aren’t sealed between them
It does in terms of draughts, though

Sponsored Links
I have now completely ruled out the option of going into the kitchen ceiling void and the directly out over the flat roof as I would have to drill through the flashing

The other 2 options I have left are:

1) running the lenght of the utility room (there is a handy false ceiling), but then go down and towards the centre of the wall to avoid the gutter and the boiler flue

duct-png.250849

4b850fba-84cf-46fa-850c-9960c3535577-jpeg.250891

2) running partially through the utility room and go up into the flat roof using something like this
ae235

which I suspect might need to be covered with another bitumen layer (?)

There are (almost) literally a million ways to do this. You need to look at all your different levels and how much mess you want to make. Personally I'd avoid penetrating the roof and would look at coming above the flashing. Get your tape measure and investigate the different levels, see which way the joists run, be aware that you can get flat (25mm) ducting and you can run ducting up through the cavity (Google telescopic ducting) or even remove a few bricks from the inner skin to create space.

Sponsored Links
There are (almost) literally a million ways to do this. You need to look at all your different levels and how much mess you want to make. Personally I'd avoid penetrating the roof and would look at coming above the flashing. Get your tape measure and investigate the different levels, see which way the joists run, be aware that you can get flat (25mm) ducting and you can run ducting up through the cavity (Google telescopic ducting) or even remove a few bricks from the inner skin to create space.

When you say cavity, do you mean the ceiling cavity or the external wall cavity? (the wall between utility and kitchen is a cavity wall)

For telescpic ducting, you mean something like this?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/telescopic-underfloor-vent-black-220mm-x-215mm/12025

The joists over the kitchen run horizontally in this image (not drawn, the yellow line was the initial proposed run)
duct-png.250849

and I've got about 10cm between the first joist and the wall (which is where I was initially going to fit a rectangular to round adaptor)

Last edited:
Yes, that's the sort of thing, you might just need to bash a few bricks out of the way till you can get something in. This is mine, 54mm ducting just fits between the joist and the wall, I didn't actually need to go up the cavity with this one as my cupboards will hide it.

Screenshot_20211220-113850.png

Screenshot_20211220-114430.png

does is split in two pieces and you fit one from the outside of the wall, one from the inside and then you join them in the cavity?

That was 2 lengths of 54x100 ducting - one up the wall, one pushed through the wall, connected into a 90° bend , at the bottom is a round to flat channel adapter. As I said earlier a bit of brickwork might need to come out to get something in.

Screenshot_20211220-125207.png

This is the telescopic underfloor vent kit from ScrewFix (next to a 240x60 rectangular duct)

upload_2021-12-22_16-16-50.jpeg

I’m not convinced this would be suitable, there is no seal between the two parts and the outside section has a smaller cross section

Take the black one back and buy the bits from Toolstation to make up what fits your job.

Do you think it’s fine to cut a rectangular hole highlighted by the purple line to insert a rigid section of duct in the cavity?

View attachment 259158

The damp patch of plaster circled in green is where a hole has already been cut to allow some heating pipes to go upstairs

To the right is a party wall to the adjoining property
To the left there is a lintel over the bifold door and the window

I'm getting a new kitchen and I need to buy a new cooker hood.
I would like to get one I can use with a duct to actually take fumes (and especially moisture) out of the house, but I'm worried about the long run drawn in yellow in the picture (as it would have to cross the utility room since it's a terraced house).

Is it possible to do or should I just get a recirculating one?

So that's a choice between something which will work and something which is not really worth having (recirculation). Put the duct in, it makes sense, but make it as large and as smooth bore as possible. Don't use the corrugated flexible type, they will massively reduce the air flow.

Update; I’ve made the hole inside (house still standing) and outside
upload_2022-1-30_13-54-47.jpeg

upload_2022-1-30_13-55-1.jpeg

I now just have to join the duct to the two 90 degree bends; what kind of sealant do I need to join them? Would normal silicone or caulk work?

And for the outside, is it best to fit an airbrick or just a short horizontal piece of ducting and a flat grill?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back