Kitchen cupboard doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a bit of a nightmare today. I used some multi surface cleaner (not quite neat, but a fairly strong solution) to wipe down my plastic coated kitchen cupboard doors. They now have white stains all over them that I haven’t been able to remove, so I’m wondering if I’ve damaged the material. Or maybe I just need the right product to get it off.

if anyone could offer any advice I would be most grateful.

Attachments

• A4FFBF36-CB6A-4AD8-8D03-A60566F71CFE.jpeg
    A4FFBF36-CB6A-4AD8-8D03-A60566F71CFE.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 56C3FDB1-393D-4673-A441-CA07CE1F3E00.jpeg
    56C3FDB1-393D-4673-A441-CA07CE1F3E00.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 119
  • EB03BBEC-2447-4123-9975-A46C40FB0D46.png
    EB03BBEC-2447-4123-9975-A46C40FB0D46.png
    356.8 KB · Views: 108
Sponsored Links
It says you can use the product undiluted on worktops, one would expect a kitchen cupboard door to be a similar surface, yet clearly not.

Not quite sure what you mean by plastic coated, if it really is plastic.

You've tried cleaning that mess off with just water I take it?

Can't tell from here if it is a stain that might come off, or if the finish is 'bleached' and therefore ruined.

If it is a stain, you could try a small quantity of white spirit, just to see if it comes off (try a small area in a discreet place first).

If it is damaged, you will have to consider replacement doors.

How old is the kitchen, and where was it bought?

Last edited:
I know, I really didn’t expect this from a product you can use neat! I do feel a bit irresponsible for not testing it first but it felt low risk.

I’ve attached a photo of the coating. This is a bit that had chipped off. I was only there to repair that small piece and ended up causing far more harm!

Yep, I’ve tried washing it off with a wet rag - even rubbing hard hasn’t done anything. It’s looking likely it’s not a stain but bleaching/some type of reaction with the material

I will try white spirit though, doesn’t seem much to lose now. Thanks for that suggestion.

Attachments

• D5B27B3D-8194-4098-80B2-993BBD226448.jpeg
    D5B27B3D-8194-4098-80B2-993BBD226448.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
Other than replacing the doors, so-called 'fablon' is another option, if you can get a suitable colour.

If applied well (videos on YouTube) this can mask a few sins.

Thanks, I’ve taken a look at Fablon as you suggested, could be a good idea but I’m worried I might not do a good job! I’m also looking at cupboard paint, but I doubt I’ll get the right match so I’d have to do every cupboard, including those that I didn’t touch with the cleaning product and look fine.

I’m also wondering about a varnish. One thing to note is that when the cupboards are wet they look fine. I don’t know if that’s a sign it might not be damage?

It's a good sign that the doors look fine when wet, so may at least take a clear varnish. Maybe there is an edge somewhere you can try.

May also be worth speaking to the manufacturer of the cleaning product (not Tesco, it'll be made by someone else on their behalf, I should think).

Another thing to bear in mind is that varnish may not adhere to the surface, unless lightly sanded first.

Varnish is quite magical the way is gets rid of all the scratches and that from sanding - USUALLY. Note USUALLY.

Again, you would have to try a discreet edge somewhere first, in case the sanding causes disaster.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back