Kitchen cupboards smelling of damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an awful smell of damp coming from my kitchen cupboards on one side of my kitchen where my cooker is.

I thought that it was that the bricks were holding moisture from the outside as they had been painted by the previous owner. I have had the paint removed and the bricks repointed.

I hoped that the smell would go away but so far, 6 months later the smell is still here.

The kitchen tops have a small splash back, approx 3" high going up the wall, this is about 2-3mm off the wall without any sealer so there is a gap. I think that condensation from cooking etc is maybe going on the wall and going down behind the splash back and behind the cupboards.

Do you think I can seal the gap to stop further condensation going behind the cupboards, or would the cupboards need taking off and cleaned behind them. (I am hoping that the sealer will work).

Hope this all makes sense.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Condensation going down behind the splash backs is a bit of a long shot, but splashes from the sink - if its near by - is of course an issue. Seal the gaps with silicone anyway.
Next (presumably the smell is from the base units) check very carefully the run of any pipes in the area - small leaks can cause all sorts of issues over a year or so. If the plaster is flaking off at the back then there may be a rising damp issue so check any air bricks outside for blockages, and any rain gutter drips that may be splashing up the wall above DPC level.
John :)

If you have condensation then you lack sufficient ventilation to prevent it.

Sponsored Links
Than you for the replies, I'll get sealer on the splash backs and make more or an effort to ventilate the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back