Kitchen Design Layout Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone with any knowledge of kitchen design regs could help?

We are in the process of buying a house and wanted to fit a new kitchen after moving in. However, I have a query about the size of the kitchen. It is a galley kitchen and is 2240mm wide. This means with two sides of standard 600mm units, the gap between the two rows of cupboards is 1040mms. I know the recommended design distance between two rows of units is 1200mms to allow you to open doors on both sides without touching, but do you know if its still possible to install the kitchen with a gap of 1040mms, or are we going to find this a problem going forward?

Sponsored Links
Can't answer your question as such, but you could fit wall cabinets on one side instead, they're quite a bit shallower tho, IIRC 300mm depth.

A metre gap is ok. Theres no hard n fast rule.

If theres only appliances one side, as above the other side could be narrower.

Either wall units 300mm deep (they are usually same height), or cut down std base units.

Have a curved worktop perhaps so only one section is 600mm deep.

If you need wall cabinets -you could have shallow one just 150mm deep or so -you would be amazed how useful they are as a pantry. Why? -everything is in show at the front.

Be inventive :)

you could fit wall cabinets on one side instead

yes, I did that in a former home.

Depending on doors and windows, you may fit a fill sized appliance (even a fridge-freezer) in one or more of the corners where it will not obstruct you walking by. Your sink and cooker have got to be full depth on the other side.

Sponsored Links
Just fit 500mm width cabinets (or 1000 doubles), and then your doors wont hit each other?

Although I would probably reduce the base unit depth on 1 side of the room, wide doors are useful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back