Kitchen downlight problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Aunts downstairs light started to trip and she narrowed it down to one of the down lights in the kitchen as the bulb had blown and the fitting looked damaged. On advice she has pulled the down light fitting out and unclipped it from the male -female connection (which indicates to be that its connected to a transformer). After doing this the downstairs lights are all working again apart from the other down lights in the kitchen.

Does this mean that its just the down light she has removed that is faulty or is there a further problem due to the fact the other down lights are still not coming on. I have down lights myself that run off a transformer but if I disconnect one of the lights via pulling the male-female connection, the rest still work. Are there different wiring, some connected in parallel and some in series?

I'm going down there as its 100miles away over the weekend to take a look, so any advice on what to look for before hand would be appreciated.

David

Sponsored Links
All in parallel, but you say she unplugged something - perhaps the downlights were a kit. If there were two cables supplying this downlight, she needs to connect them together for the other lights to work. Then again, it could be a faulty transformer (if they are extra low voltage)

Hi Steve, I belive she had to unplug the male connector, so yes I think there is kit form. I asked her what the cable colouring was. The part attached between light fitting and male connector was just two white wires. The other side female to (transformer but up in ceiling so can't see) was blue and brown and also two black cables. I've bought another fitting for her and stuck the male connector that was on the old unit on this so she can plug it in and see if all works. If not the floorboards will probably need lifting above.

Thanks

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back