Kitchen drain and Gully

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have knocked down an old conservatory to replace with a extension. On clearing we've found the old kitchen gully and clay pipe that goes to the man hole (pics and diagram below). Ideally I don't want to have a internal gully. We wont be changing kitchen so I'm looking for a solution to change from a gully to a straight run to the man hole that can be fully covered.

Also there is a second pipe that goes into the gully, unless I'm missing something it doesn't appear to do anything. It sits at floor level under the sink cupboard - pics below.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how I can change this so we can cover the whole lot.

Any suggestions/ideas welcome.
Drains 1.jpg Drains 3.jpg Drains 4.jpg InkedDrains 2_LI.jpglayout.PNG

Attachments

• layout.PNG
    layout.PNG
    10.6 KB · Views: 194
Sponsored Links
Well now is the time to move any drain runs that are not needed or need to be changed in anyway.

Andy

If the kitchen layout isn't changing why not leave as it is, the clay pipe will be wide enough to take kitchen sink waste water. Just hide the pipes with some furniture. Then do it properly when you can afford to knock out the back wall and have a modern sized kitchen

Blup

If the kitchen layout isn't changing why not leave as it is, the clay pipe will be wide enough to take kitchen sink waste water. Just hide the pipes with some furniture. Then do it properly when you can afford to knock out the back wall and have a modern sized kitchen

Blup

Sorry I missed that, we are knocking the wall out to make the area open plan. I plan to put a white MDF along the back of the kitchen cupboards. Also worried about the clay pipe cracking when the sub floor is compressed.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Slot the 40mm/32mm pipes into a dedicated 110mm spigot fitting below concrete level and concrete over.

PETP383-500x500.jpg

Last edited:
OP,
Is your present kitchen floor solid?
At the moment are your units, fixtures and appliances (eg W/M & D/W?) in place along the back wall of the kitchen?
After the knock-thro do you intend to keep the above arrangement as a kitchen Island?

White pipe under cupboards looks to be redundant, it's been capped off. That can be removed.

Provided access upstream to the existing gully is available from the chamber, cut through the pipework at a suitable point, change to plastic, and come back to a suitable point, before using a bend to head upwards and fit an adapter as per Noseall's post.

I would however, ascertain existing pipework you are going to cover with the extension is in suitable condition, (get any required repairs/replacement done before building over it), and change the existing waste pipe for some decent solvent weld waste before burying it in the concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back