Kitchen drain clogged after installing used washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our kitchen drain refuses to drain. This all started after we bought a used washing machine. Some guy installed it for us, and connected it to the S bend under the kitchen sink. Everything seemed fine until the washing machine started draining and the sink filled up. I took the S pipe apart and found a lot of black waste that seemed to have come out the washing machine hose. The pipes weren't at all blocked, however, and everything seemed fine. I poured some water down the pipe leading to the well pump(We live in the basement and have one of those boxes that makes a loud noise when disposing of water), and it eventually filled up, without making the well pump do it's thing, so the block\problem has to be further down in the system. The toilet and the bathroom sink works, and they're also connected to the well pump, so the problem has to be between the kitchen sink and the well pump.

What should i do here? Will a plunger do any good here, or any block clearing solutions i can pour down the pipe? Should i contact the people that installed the washing machine?

Please reply if you have a tip or suggesion, would be much appreciated!
Bård & Kelly

Sponsored Links
Caustic soda is very good for clearing drains but I would not recommend it in case it damages your well pump. ( Sounds like a macerator ! ).

Its not recommended to have a toilet on a macerator if its the only one in the property.

I would suggest that its going to be necessary to mechanically dislodge the blockage. If its been installed as usual without rodding points then that will involve cutting pipes to gain access.

I dont see that its the fault of the WMC installer but just that the machine contained a lot of dirt. Although its more likely the sink drain was already very dirty and using the WMC washed the dirt down the pipe and that caused a blockage.

Tony

Thanks for the response Tony, i really appreciate it.

I think I'll contact the agency we rent from and ask if they can do anything, and if not have someone look at it, if Caustic soda is out of the picture.

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Most tenants are responsible for unblocking drains.

But not all landlords know that and often sort them out.

Agents particularly see any repair as an opportunity to earn a commission!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back