Kitchen Drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone give me some guidance on which drain should be installed externally ?
I am sure the wrong drain has been fitted prior to us buying this house. We get really strong sewage smells coming from it, so I am thinking that it has either been fitted wrongly or it is the wrong type.
I am also going to dig up the path to check the actual run of the drain in case it is running directly to main drain which is why we are getting the smells.
Not entirely sure if it works on same principle as the pipes under the sink with a water trap to prevent smells, as this could possibly be a cause for future blockages ?
As a home do I need to install a fat trap ? Not that we put fat or grease down the drain, some obviously finds its way in........

Sponsored Links
All waste water gullies, and any rainwater gulley connected to a combined, (that is foul and surface water), drain should be trapped. Can you post a pic of said gulley please? Some have an integral trap, if the plug in the rodding eye, or the funnel that forms the trap are missing then it will allow foul air to escape from the drainage system.

Fat trap not needed on domestic properties, although if everyone was cautious as you about putting fat down the sink, then the water companies would be spending a lot less time and money removing the wretched stuff!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back