Kitchen drainage question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have recently moved into a new (to me) house and am wanting to plumb in the washing machine and dishwasher into the utility room.
Fresh water is no problem but there is currently no drainage and I am not sure where waste could be drained to outside the property.

The utility room used to be the kitchen before an extension was added in the 80's so I was expecting a drain to be fairly close. But it seems that the old kitchen used to drain where the extension now joins the house so I am a little confused.
The soil pipe appears to be in the original location but now leaves the bathroom and goes into the roof space of the extension and then down a boxed in section within the extension its self. From old photos I can see this is where the soil pipe has always been but obviously it used to be outside the house. So I am assuming there must be a foul drain under the extension?

The current kitchen waste (in the extension) drains into a drain at the end of the extension around 3-4 meters away from where the soil pipe presumably is.
It would be difficult to get the waste from the utility room to this drain as it would need to travel quite a distance which isn't streight and is pretty visible.

The only way to add drainage I can think of is to join into the soil pipe inside the extension by going through the wall just behind the soil pipe and then joining into it within the boxed in section.

Does this sound like it would be ok?

I am not completely comfortable with the soil pipe inside the house and even less so having a joint inside the kitchen. Am I worrying about nothing here?

Any advice would be fantastic!

Sponsored Links
Connecting to a soil pipe is common practice, a properly fitted joint using a boss wont leak. Building regulations in the 1970's stated soil pipes had to be fitted internally, plenty of properties were built with this arrangement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back