soil pipe - need for venting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have v little knowledge of this topic. Had a new extension with new bathroom and utility room with waste going into newly constructed drain. Had v bad smells in house when neighbour's drain was blocked, have now realised that soil pipe was not vented through roof - is this an absolute requirement? would v much appreciate advice. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ok, the new bathroom.....

Is this a second bathroom?

If so is the soil pipe connecting into an existing soil stack?

Pic/diagram may help.

Vinny

The old bathroom's soil pipe...is that vented? Does the new bathrooms soil pipe join into the existing soil stack and if so whats the distance between the two?

Sponsored Links
thanks, the original is vented and no, the soil pipes don't join. my husband has just spoken to a friend with knowledge of the subject and he believes that there is an aav at the top of the new soil pipe. If this is the case then it is enclosed in a tiled "box" next to the sink. The top of the box is at the height of the sink. Would an aav have to be in an open area? Do you think that now the drain is clear the smells might go? It is still a bit gassy in the room next to the utility room. I have windows open and a fan going at the moment ...

thanks, the original is vented and no, the soil pipes don't join. my husband has just spoken to a friend with knowledge of the subject and he believes that there is an aav at the top of the new soil pipe. If this is the case then it is enclosed in a tiled "box" next to the sink. The top of the box is at the height of the sink. Would an aav have to be in an open area? Do you think that now the drain is clear the smells might go? It is still a bit gassy in the room next to the utility room. I have windows open and a fan going at the moment ...

The AAV or `Durgo`valve as they are more commonly known needs to be at a height of 1300mm from the top of your highest sanitaryware, in your case, washbasin for it to function correctly, it is o.k. to box them in but I doubt wether yours is performing it`s task.

The AAV or `Durgo`valve as they are more commonly known needs to be at a height of 1300mm from the top of your highest sanitaryware
Where does it say that :confused: ? The only requirement as far as I’m aware is that the valve must be higher than the highest overflow on that part of the system (for obviously reasons), usually the wash hand basin!

It is still a bit gassy in the room next to the utility room. I have windows open and a fan going at the moment ...
Not sure what you mean & how this is relevant?
An AAV (Durgo) valve needs adequate ventilation but doesn’t need to be in open air. They are nearly always boxed in & usually work fine; if your getting smells, the valve is the first thing to check.

If a durgo is boxed in it should have at least an area of ventilation equal to the pipe diameter. Usually provided by a poor fitting soil pipe hole through a suspended timber floor. If the boxing in is air tight it obviously cannot perform its function. Hence the name AAV Air admittance Valve. :eek:

If a durgo is boxed in it should have at least an area of ventilation equal to the pipe diameter. Usually provided by a poor fitting soil pipe hole through a suspended timber floor. If the boxing in is air tight it obviously cannot perform its function. Hence the name AAV Air admittance Valve. :eek:
So what’s’ with the :eek:? I know what a furkin AAV is & how it works :rolleyes: ! Even a boxed in soil pipe with AAV will never be enough to restrict the air supply to stop an AAV "farting" when it needs to. Even in a fire regs. sealed enclosure will contain more than enough static air for it to suck on & you would need to flush continuously to create enough vacuum before it would have any effect on the AAV; good luck with that one! :LOL:

the original is vented
Hmm.

the soil pipes don't join.
Do you mean that they don't join above ground?

my husband has just spoken to a friend with knowledge of the subject and he believes that there is an aav at the top of the new soil pipe.
It sounds like your "friend" is making an assumption - the only relevant knowledge is whether or not someone has seen the AAV in that location.

Do you think that now the drain is clear the smells might go?
If a sewer blockage is causing smells, then you don't have adequate venting.

It is still a bit gassy in the room next to the utility room.
You don't have an adequate vent.

So what’s’ with the :eek:? I know what a furkin AAV is & how it works :rolleyes: ! Even a boxed in soil pipe with AAV will never be enough to restrict the air supply to stop an AAV "farting" when it needs to. Even in a fire regs. sealed enclosure will contain more than enough static air for it to suck on & you would need to flush continuously to create enough vacuum before it would have any effect on the AAV; good luck with that one! :LOL:

Yikes :!: I was only stating the manufacturers installation instructions. However the :eek: should probably have been a ;)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Also if I were refereing to an AAV operating I would us the term "admitting" or "lifting" not "farting" as there is no noise in use due to the operation of the very light gravity non return valve. However, if you are ever describing the operation of a HepvO dry trap you may use the word "farting" because although they are also silent in operation, the design is similar to a woopi cushion outlet.
:eek:

Yikes :!: I was only stating the manufacturers installation instructions. However the :eek: should probably have been a ;)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
OK wrong icon, I can accept that; thought you were having a pop ;) ! The installation guides always err on the safe side but it’s a bit like closing yourself in an airing cupboard & expecting not to be able to breathe any longer! :confused:

Also if I were refereing to an AAV operating I would us the term "admitting" or "lifting" not "farting" as there is no noise in use due to the operation of the very light gravity non return valve. However, if you are ever describing the operation of a HepvO dry trap you may use the word "farting" because although they are also silent in operation, the design is similar to a woopi cushion outlet.
:eek:
Euphemism accepetd but I suppose it depends which side of the orifice you put yourself! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back