Kitchen extract through roof tile vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I asked my roofer to install a roof tile vent for my kitchen extract. He installed a 100 tile vent which I think would be ok for a bathroom extract but not a kitchen one trying to push 520m3/h of air.

Also, I need a vent diameter of 150mm. I don't want to reduce this because there's a 90 bend in the pipe that's already reducing its efficiency.

I've had Google and I can't find a suitable vent for a slate roof at a 15 degree pitch. Can anybody help?

Sponsored Links
I'm not even sure that there is a 150mm spigot available in a roof tile vent terminal, probably because the large size makes it prohibitive i.e. overly weakening the tile etc.

However, (as stated by Cat) you could have a lead slate made to suit. Only problem is ducting up to and through the lead slate as 150mm fittings aren't readily available. You would for instance still require a mushroom cowl on top. I would imagine if there is a 150mm version available it will be a special order and cost a bomb.

I guess going out horizontally is not an option?

Can't believe this is such a ballache! I thought loads of people would have a kitchen extract through a roof tile.

Horizontal would require the pipe traveling another 3-4m on view (5m+90 bend total). I think the pipe run would be too long and it'd require a lot of ugly boxing in.

Recirculating fan is another option but I hate the idea, especially with ot being open plan.

Sponsored Links
As long as the wind isn't blowing in the wrong direction! :evil:

(I probably shouldn't have said that) :)

Good point! It's facing west so I'll have plenty of wind coming in! I'll just put one of those non-return valves on the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back