kitchen extractor connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello there, i am about to fit my cooker hood and have the twin and earth just above the side of the housing where electrician left it where can i fix a switched spur ie can it go inside the extactor housing itself surface mounted , or inside the false chimney if it was sunk into the plaster , or would it have to be outside the housing / chimney and have the switched spur flush/ surface mounted .I am guessing the latter but just wanted to check

cheers any advice apprieciated

andrew

Sponsored Links
If it's a switched spur, you would want it located in a position that would be easily accessible for you to use it as a function point of isolation.
So behind the chimney or even fitted in the back of the housing may not be suitable. Ideally you want the isolator at above worktop height, so it can be switched, then take that feed to the back of the appliance via an outlet plate.

You obviously need to be able to access the FCU to switch off for servicing or replace the fuse, however it can be concealed behind some removable panel, mine at home lives in the false chimney hood which in my case is wooden and has a clip on front.

You could also position it at socket level under the worktops or have it exposed above but use a decorator finish FCU (ie stainless, brass etc)

I was at a school the other day where the FCU for an undersink water heater had been blocked in by the unit itself and that kind of thing is a problem as you can't turn off in a crisis, or for that matter in the calm without mashing up the furniture :LOL:

I was in a house the other day and the plumber had fitted a rad covering up half of a double socket-outlet.
Now I would like to see someone remove the plate of off that!

Sponsored Links
hi thanks for your replies , so i take it as long as its accessible it will meet reg's , is there any issue with steam or moisture in the spur if its within the housing , cheers

The outlet should be suitable for it's environment, would there be steam/moisture issues within the housing?
I say this not knowing you exact set up, normally they can be install where this would not be an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back