Kitchen extractor fan fault finding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen extractor fan has suddenly stopped working a couple of days ago. A quick check with the meter shows theres no volts on the supply cable, yet there has been no mcb trip at the consumer unit.

The supply cable is twin and earth and there is no obvious sign of damage anywhere and no burning smells etc. Tracing the cable through into the ceiling - i popped a gopro through one of the ceiling holes where a spotlight is located in and can see the fan cable going into the wall plaster at the corner of the ceiling/wall. So i am reasonably confident this cable isn't connected into the lighting circuit in the kitchen.

I don't have a cable detector to trace where the cable goes in the wall, but have had the power off and took the kitchen sockets off the boxes to see if the fan supply cable is a spur off a socket and can't see it in any of the sockets.

Any ideas on what i can do short of trying to expose the cable to follow it?

Sponsored Links
There may be a switch somewhere unexpected that someone has turned off. I don't suppose you were doing any work anywhere that might have damaged the cable?

You are correct - Thanks! - its wired to a socket which is accesible through the back of inside one of the cupboards - possibly accidentally someone had switched it off...o_O

Funny i guess - mr nobody :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Sponsored Links
There may be a fuse in there that has blown. Very common if the extractor has lamps and one goes *pop*

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back