Kitchen extractor fan in corner wall unit - now with photo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I hope I am posting in the right section.

I have a kitchen with a hob in a corner and nowhere else to put it. I would like to have an extractor fan built under / incorporated into a corner wall unit, is this possible?

I searched dozens of catalogues ( paper and online) without seeing an example of this being done.

Our existing extractor is built under and enormous false corner chimney stack which is at head knocking height and looks hideos.

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
Can you post a pic of your set up as it is a bit difficult to understand precisely what you are asking?

JJ4091, thanks for reply.

Here's a pic of what we have at the moment

DSCN6248.jpg

What I'd like to do is place an extractor, perhaps I should have said cooker hood, under a wall corner unit and get rid of the monstrous chimney. Even the missus, at 5'4", can knock her head on that thing, for me, 6' plus, it's a nightmare as well as a waste of space.

cheers

Andy

Do you particularly need a cupboard, what is wrong with a normal chimney extractor?

Sponsored Links
We, well she of course, would like to have a corner cupboard as the kitchen is not very large and as we want to get the washing machine out of the bathroom and into the kitchen we will lose some of our existing cupboard space.

I guess that this is not going to be easy then?

cheers

Andy

The only thing that I can think of is to look for a recirculating extractor that has a hole in the back of it so that you could the vent it through the wall with a flexi pipe, fitting the fan diagonally under a corner wall cupboard. Not sure how it would look though in view of how unhappy you are with the current arrangement.

if you put a cupboard there, and it is low enough for your wife to reach into, it is going to be low enough to bang your head on
I positioned my cooker hood so it is just out of head-banging range, but I need steps to wipe the top of it.

A cooker hood needs tyo be deeper than is usual for wall cabs.

John, and JJ, thanks for your thoughts.

I am not too concerned about the height of the cupboard as the missus needs a stool to access all of the upper shelves on our existing wall units.

I have just noticed that telescopic cooker hoods are available eg

http://www.baumatic.co.uk/products/catalogue/cookerhoods/TEL06SS

This telescopic hood would prevent the hood from projecting beyond the front of the cupboard when not in use.

The question now, I guess, is whether I can fit this under a smaller than usual corner wall unit - do they exist? As the standard height corner wall unit seems to be about 70cm. I'd need one about at about 60cm in order to allow the necessary 70 cm above the gas hob.

Cheers

Andy

With the assy that you have linked to you do not need a cupboard carcase, just a door to fit on the front of the fan assy.

JJ, I do not understand. What I have linked to is this:-

Picture1.png

Dimensions as folllows

Picture2-1.png

Now all I need to find is a 600mm high corner unit to stick it under.

Cheers

Andy

I would have thought that you could just screw it to the cupboards either side & the same with the door, I do not think you need a carcase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back