Kitchen extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I assume a kitchen extractor fan isn't subjected to the same rules as a bathroom one like having to have an isolator swicth outside the room.

Can anyone let me know what the rules are....?

I'm guessing you should fit an FCU to allow it to be isolated.....does it matter where the FCU is sited?

Can it be a spur off the ring main or should it be part of the ring?

thanks...

Sponsored Links
There is no regulation that says a bathroom fan has to be isolated from outside the bathroom. But as many bathroom fans have a timer overrun and operate via the light switch it is normal to use a three-pole isolator, the most convenient location usually being the loft or above the bathroom door.

The rules?

Reg 460-01-01 "A means shall be provided for non-automatic isolation and switching to prevent or remove hazards associated with the electrical installation or electrically powered equipment and machines..."

If you are coming off the kitchen ring final circuit then spur off to a DP switched FCU and use a suitable fuse for the current carrying capacity of the final cable to the fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back