kitchen extractor hood.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey people. im new here. would like to say "hello" and nice to meet you all.

would be nice if someone can also help me please. i am fitting a new kitchen for my parents. abit of a thank you thing really. i fitting the new extractor hood but isnt working. iv checked all the fuses and there all ok. iv checked to see if theres any current flowing through the cable and there isnt. the old extractor fan used to work then stopped working for no reason. so i thort it was just broken.

there must be a break in the wiring somewhere but cant seem to find it. any advise please?

many thanks

musti

Sponsored Links
Where is the hood fed from?It should be from a fused connector unit, check the connections in the back of the unit(use a neon screwdriver if that is all you have)and make sure there is power at the load side of the unit.

there must be a break in the wiring somewhere but cant seem to find it. any advise please?

This kind of fault can be an absolute pig to sort out. You'll have to trace the wiring back until you find the fault. In the process you might end up crawling under floorboards looking for junction boxes. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The power should, as wingcoax says, come from a fused connection unit off a ring main. Do all the sockets on the ring work? It might be worth checking the wires behind each one (power off of course) to see if anything has come loose.

thank you but iv checked the fuse box and the wiring cuming from it. all seems fine. evrything in the kitchen works normally. and the wire for it goes up to the roof. i dont know why becouse the fuse box is just behind it under the stairs.

however i was thinking of just tapping that wire up and taking a new lead from a socket. would that? because the extractor fan does not have an earth cable.

im soo confused.

Sponsored Links
and the wire for it goes up to the roof

In that case, there's a fair chance that it comes from a lighting circuit. Can you get into the space above the ceiling?

however i was thinking of just tapping that wire up --

I don't like the idea of leaving wires taped up when you don't know where their other ends are. That wire might become live again some time in the future - maybe when somebody switches a light on! :eek: :eek: :eek: I once knew somebody whose door bell only worked when the hall light was on! They thought nothing of it because "It's always been like that." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ummmm well above the kitchen is nothing but next to it is the bathroom. which is on the same side as the extractor hood. so maybe connected to the bathroom.

i really have to spend more money and get an electrition dont i?

i really have to spend more money and get an electrition dont i?

Unless you're prepared to go crawling into roof spaces (if any) to find the other end of that cable, the answer is, unfortunately, yes. :( :( :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back