Kitchen first fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

It seems to be a hot topic here at the moment but I need to put in some boxes so that the electrical first fix can be done in a kitchen I'm working on.

I recall from a similar project that I had to put the cooker panel a certain distance from the hob/oven. Am I right in thinking that the oven isolator has to be at least one metre from the hob?

Thinking similarly, are there any other minimum distances for plug sickets? I'm thinking specifically about keeping them away from the sink.

Finally, for the cooker hood, is it normal to feed this via a switch spur? It seems wrong just to take a supply directly to it. Do they go in on the socket ring main or can they be taken from the lighting circuit as they're only low power?

TIA

Jever

Sponsored Links
Am I right in thinking that the oven isolator has to be at least one metre from the hob?
Nope. It is "recommended" that it be 300mm.

Thinking similarly, are there any other minimum distances for plug sickets? I'm thinking specifically about keeping them away from the sink.
The same - but both are just common sense.

Finally, for the cooker hood, is it normal to feed this via a switch spur?
A Fused Connector Unit, yes. The cable is the spur.

It seems wrong just to take a supply directly to it. Do they go in on the socket ring main or can they be taken from the lighting circuit as they're only low power?
There is no normal. It does not matter.

I like to put them on the cooker circuit so it will be isolated, or in an emergency switched off, with the cooking appliances.

I like to put them on the cooker circuit so it will be isolated, or in an emergency switched off, with the cooking appliances.

That is OK but it will need the fused connector or fused plug and socket in that case.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back