Kitchen fitters who change the CU and put in a split board

He was reported to LABC and all that did was give me a load of hassle and grief. They tried to stop me completing the work until the paper work arrived failed to do anything other than stop the builder trading which resulted in him having no money to be able to take him to court and get the money back.
There you are then - result.

So to report non complaint work to the LABC is just a waist of time and money. I found out the hard way. Take them to a small claims court yes but once the LABC is involved you can kiss goodbye to any thoughts of getting money back.
Aren't you looking at that from the POV of a customer reporting? In this case Martin isn't looking for compensation.

It is very plain it's up to the owner to ensure the work is notified
No - it's very plain that it's the person carrying out the work who is required to notify.

Believe me my name was muck for telling the LABC and I was told in no uncertain terms how much my big mouth cost them.
LABTYD.

Can't make an omelette without breaking eggs etc.

Threaten to report them but don't actually do it.
Either

a) People want rogue traders, incompetent charlatans etc shut down,

or

b) they don't.

If (a), the thing to do is to get the enforcement agencies on their case, not just moan about them on internet forums.

If (b), the thing to do is to stop moaning about them on internet forums.

Sponsored Links
OK do you need to notify if all you do is change fuses for the pop out breakers on a wylex board, because in essence this is all that the kitchen fitter considers that he is doing.

Forget for a minute the RCD side he uses for the new circuits, is what he is doing on the non rcd side legal, and if not, where is the illegality, after all he is not putting in any new wiring at all, he is replacing a protective device for a newer one.

Please feel free to rant call me a boring whatever is you like,but I was wondering if I get to meet this character what I would state as his headline crime. I would say it could be not registering work (but then I don't know if that is true, I can't investigate), so I am left with fitting new protective devices on an exsisting circuit - Now is this illegal?

is what he is doing on the non rcd side legal, and if not, where is the illegality, after all he is not putting in any new wiring at all, he is replacing a protective device for a newer one.
If the CU has been changed, for whatever reason, surely, an EIC and schedules should be issued.

This would necessitate testing of all the circuits.

They could be reconnecting dangerous circuits.
The fact that they were dangerous before and are now no more dangerous (no less safe) is not the point.

The fact that they do not know, is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back