Kitchen fitting alignment question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're putting a new kitchen into an old house. Spent far too much on sorting out floor and plaster and ceilings, but all good so far.

Problem is that the walls aren't true. In particular, there's one wall that fades about 3cm from the corner across a ~3m stretch.

From right to left, there's a corner unit (1m) then oven (1.2m) then another unit (0.6m).

My question is whether there's a 'best practice' in terms of lining up.

If we line up at the back, then the left hand unit is stepped back 3cm from the right (albeit still square on), which means when we put the granite down it'll look kinked along the front, with the cooker in the middle aligned to the back wall and following the slope back, and the granite on the left 3cm further back than the granite on the right.

Alternatively we line up the front of the cabinets, this'll mean the front line is true, but the cooker will have a greater gap behind on one side (the left) than the other.

Just to complicate things further, we've a traditional cooker hood being installed, which has a large square cross section base, shrinking uplike a pyramid into a smaller cross section chimney that rises up and would be mounted flush to the (slightly sloping) wall. So if we're not aligning the cooker with the wall, we'll need to find some way to ensure that the cooker hood is true with the front of the cooker.

Would welcome any thoughts / suggestions.

Many thanks.

A

Sponsored Links
Why not just fit the units flush to the wall?

This might mean getting you worktop angle cut to slightly less than 90 degrees, but it would solve your alignment problems.

Why not just fit the units flush to the wall?

This might mean getting you worktop angle cut to slightly less than 90 degrees, but it would solve your alignment problems.
Are granite worktops cuttable?

Sponsored Links
You need to line up the fronts, removing excess from the rear in necessary, if you are have granite top the units need to be capable of taking the extra weight and the company fitting will normally send someone to make a template so you get an exact fit.

no, they come out of the ground just the right size and shape, and all polished nicely.. they just have to pick the right ones to fit your house.. :rolleyes:

the granite guys will measure up and make a template, scribing to the wall as needed.

no, they come out of the ground just the right size and shape, and all polished nicely.. they just have to pick the right ones to fit your house.. :rolleyes:

the granite guys will measure up and make a template, scribing to the wall as needed.
Hey CJ you still get the urge to wash a car after midnight, mines getting dirty :D

My question was to Bon, I assumed he was telling OP to cut the W.top, on reading it again tho, I think he meant 'get it cut'. :rolleyes: ;)

Hey CJ you still get the urge to wash a car after midnight, mines getting dirty :D

My question was to Bon, I assumed he was telling OP to cut the W.top, on reading it again tho, I think he meant 'get it cut'. :rolleyes: ;)

That's exactly what I meant!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back