Fitting a kitchen in non square room....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im fitting an IKEA kitchen into my 2.2m by 3.2m kitchen at the moment. I had thought the room was square, however it appears that it may not be.

If you stand in the doorway of the kitchen, the layout is a basic U shape, with cabinets/ cooker on the right, sink at the end opposite you, draws, and appliances on the left. Now, after putting the cupboards on the right hand side in place and flush with the wall, I have found that the angle between the front edge of those units, and the rear wall where the sink needs to go, is more than 90 degrees. If I aim to get the units square with the rear wall, then they are going to end up too far from the wall at the other end of the room.

I dont yet know if the left hand wall is parallel with the right hand, and it is just the rear wall which is out of square.

I am trying to work out what the best thing to do would be. My options seem to be:

1) Leave units flush against their respective walls, and have > 90 degree angles at work surface butt joints
2) Square the units with one another, so that butt joints between surface are 90 degrees
3) If left hand wall is parallel with right, leave units on these walls flush, and adjust sink unit etc until it is square with the other units, if not the wall.

Hope that makes some sense, any advice most gratefully received.

Rob

Sponsored Links
How much out are we talking here?
Would lining & replastering 1 wall be an option?

THanks for the reply.

In answer to your question, with the right hand wall cabinets flush against the wall, if I lay a straight batten along the rear edge of the corner cabinet, it gains about 4cm over the length of about a metre - so its a fair bit. I'm really not keen to replaster the wall to be honest due to time/ financial constraints.

Someone has suggested to me that I put a tapered batten on the back wall, tapered so that it makes the edge the units attach to square with the right hand wall. Problem with that is likely to be that the space behind the unit/ worktop is likely to be a bit big for filling with grout or something when tiling.

Why have you re-posted your question on another forum? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Sorry - thought there'd be some chippies/ kitchen fitters hanging around in wood working/ carpentry. Didnt notice it when I posted here,

I had same problem almost...

Ended up having to dot & dab on one wall to make room less p***ed..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back