Kitchen floor Calcs - Thickness of tiles, adhesive, etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to work out how much depth to allow for 10mm slate floor tiles placed on 3mm Electric heating mat and floor tile adhesive.

I'm thinking:-

Tiles - 10mm
Adhesive - 12mm????
Heating mat - 3mm

So 25mm depth in total, does this sound right or is the adhesive too thick or thin when set?

Thanks for any help,

Sponsored Links
I think i just need to know what the average depth of the tile adhesive is once its set? As i'm trying to calculate how much concrete i need.

This is what i've figured out so far and i've already layed the sand.

----------------------------------------
Tiles 10mm
Adhesive ??12mm????
Heating Mat 3mm
Insulation Boards 10mm
Self Leveling Compound 5mm
Concrete 145mm
DPM 1200G
Sand 15mm
Hardcore

Do this all look okay? or what would you advise? I'm just trying to get the finished tiles roughly level with the hall floor boards.

Cheers

Paul_GPvR said:
Concrete 145mm
DPM 1200G
Sand 15mm
Hardcore

If you're using bricks for hardcore then use pea shingles in between bricks to lock it solid, the 145mm concrete is a bit of overkill, 100mm thickness is the norm, I can't help you on the heating mat though

masona said:
Paul_GPvR said:
Concrete 145mm
DPM 1200G
Sand 15mm
Hardcore

If you're using bricks for hardcore then use pea shingles in between bricks to lock it solid, the 145mm concrete is a bit of overkill, 100mm thickness is the norm, I can't help you on the heating mat though

Cheers,

Yeah the hardcore and the sand is already down.

So maybe instead of having 145mm of concrete possibly put in 40-50mm of polystrene insulation on top of the DPM then pour the 100mm of concrete on top?

Sponsored Links
If you use a solid bed trowel (type with half round notches) these are 10-12mm when you rake out the adhesive but will compress to 3-4mm when the tile is pressed into the adhesive.

If you are sticking straight onto the floor over the matt in one go then allow 4mm for adhesive.

If you are going to set the mat in adhesive then tile the next day when its gone off allow 6-7mm total (3mm to set mat, 3-4mm to set tile)

A lot will depend on who well callibrated the slate is, I have laid it where the thickness varies from 8-22mm.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back