Kitchen floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help or recommendations desperately needed!! I have tiles on my kitchen floor of which some have broken-long story. I decided I wanted to place lino on top of the tiles so I removed the loose broken tiles and cemented the hole left behind. I have since had lino fitted and today I have had to remove it as the tiles underneath were making a crunching noise. On examination there are now several tiles that are lifting when you walk over them and some cracks. Not sure what to do? Where to start? Do the tiles need to be removed completely or can they be covered somehow? Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
the tiles need to come up.
the base needs to be exposed ie. concrete or sub-floor.
search for damp.

do the tiles run just under the unit plinths or do they run all the way back to the wall?

after the above what do you finaly want as a finished floor?

I thought as much. Underneath is concrete, and the tiles run all the way under the units to the walls. I want to put my lino back down as we managed to get it up in one piece. Thanks for replying.

Do you think it's a job we could do ourselves? Am worried about the kitchen units being On top of the tiles though

Sponsored Links
yes, its a DIY job.
you can demolish the tiles to just behind the plinth an leave the rest in place.safe glasses an gloves needed.

the sheet vinyl must be laid on a smooth firm surface.
so until the base is exposed you wont now what your dealin with.
but probly a case of a SLC over the concrete.

do you propose to lay the vinyl loose or fix it with adhesive.
the vinyl might not fit as exact it did before.
you need to take care the kit FFL equals the dining room FFL.

That's great advice, thank you so much! Only have 1 question though; how do I go about getting the tiles up from where the cupboard finishes? (The ends of the cuboards)

just smash them or lift the whole tile - keep away from cab legs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back