Kitchen Flooring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just after a little advice.
Having a kitchen extension built 5mx3m, on a timber floor which is at the side of the house knocked through into the exsiting kitchen 3mx2.4m, which is on a solid floor. A step down is needed into the new build due to floor levels (200mm step).

I am after a flooring that would be suitable for a kitchen i.e. hard wearing, and have a dog so I gues laminate is out of the question.

I quite like the idea of the Rhinofloor, but hesitant on how good it is. If this is a good option, what floor prep is needed on a) solid floor b) the new wooden floor?

Or any other flooring ideas, my budget inc. is £1k

Is it best to have the floor fitted first, then kitchen. Or the other way round?

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
A good quality laminate like Pergo or Quickstep would be perfect, certainly more pet proof than a vinyl like RhinoFloor, it will need the minimum of floor prep too. All the profiles for the step area should be available to match the floor too. If you are fitting yourself then budget should not be an issue.

If you go for a sheet vinyl like RhinoFloor you will need to self level the floor before laying and will likely need nosings for the step area, try Morley or Gradus. Vinyl will be susceptible to dog claws, sharp objects etc and I have seen many chewed at the corners by dogs over the years.

Luxury Vinyl Tiles like Polyflor, Karndaen and Amtico will be a bit better wearing but is more of a pro fit project and would likely be more expensive than a good quality laminate.

Whatever floor you choose, fit he kitchen first and the floors last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back