Kitchen Flooring under New Kitchen units?

How thick is your thick bathroom lino? Plus bathroom floor doesn't get the same amount of traffic that a kitchen floor does. If you're planning on really thick lino (like the stuff the Navy used to use on ships, about 5 or 6mm thick with a canvas backing) then you'll be fine. The thinner the vinyl the more it'll show the gaps in your floorboards.

bathroom lino is about 2mm. Also with the thicker lino am I ok in putting the units on it as going from advice above not to use a flooring that has cushioning.

What I thought was an afterthought - the flooring has got all twisted up and confused.

Sponsored Links
so you have timber floorboards ,best to cover them in sheet material before putting lino down , and if the lino is going to have a washing machine on top of it ,it'd be difficult to get it in and out of position without tearing the lino. the floor covering can go right under the plinth ,up to cabinet legs, and will look fine. so the area under cabinets will have no lino ,does that matter ?? a few years down the line ,if you get fed up with floor covering and want a change ,you surely wouldn't strip out all the kitchen so new flooring goes wall to wall .

So I have had 6mm ply sheets screwed onto the wooden floorboards and new skirting all round. Now I can lay the lino down after the units are fitted.

Whats the best way to cover the plywood that the freestanding fridge and washin machine will stand on?

How good is the surface of the ply? If it is nice then I'd paint it (gloss finish, colour up to you, battleship grey might look rather good & not show the muck too much)- if scuzzy then cover it in some lino. Either way, a neat finishing touch is some PVC angle siliconed round the edges

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back