kitchen hanging rack - can't find joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am sorry if this is the wrong place, it didn't really seem to fit anywhere else.

I'm kind of a DIY novice, I've put up shelves etc. before, put down laminate but that's it.

I'm trying to hang a hanging rack from the ceiling in the kitchen however I'm having a hellish time trying to find the joists, they seem to be going lengthways accross the room (after just banging the area around the light fitting) and it's a flat so I can't look where floorboards etc, are.
Now I seem to have found the joist where the light fitting is I need to find one next to it to hang up this hanging rack.
However, I can't seem to identify it by sound.

Could someone help me I possibly just need to know how far apart the should be and of what thickness so I know I'm hitting the right place.
I've already managed to put 7 holes in the ceiling with the hooks through trying to find them and got no joy, I think I'm going to run short on polyfilla hehe.

Thanks
Ceri :)

Sponsored Links
If you get to see the floor boards in the room directly above the room in question. That will tell you which way the floor joist run (90º to the floor boards)

You should also be able to ascertain the joist centres by looking for the fixings (nails) which are fixing the floor boards to the joists.

Joists normally run the shortest distance but this isn’t set in stone. Joists are normally set at 400mm centres (16”) but again this isn’t set in stone.

If you can find one and by using your stick of inches you should be able to locate further joist by mathematics.

Hi, thanks very much, I got it done, measured 16 inches out from where the one that I could hear under the light fitting was and found it, very oddly built though with the joists going in the direction of the longest part of the room hehe.

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back