Hanging a chandelier - between joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife wants a simple (for candles only) bent steel chandelier, weighing under a kilo. to be hung on its one hook from the ceiling before Christmas. Simple - I would normally position it beneath a joist for a firm fixing. But... the middle of the dining table is between two joists, which is exactly where it has to go, so it has to be a cavity fitting.

I can't even access the floor above to add a noggin. And she would prefer me not to fit a wooden pattress to the ceiling and hang the hook from that.

The most reliable, spring-toggle fixings only work with the screw supplied and not with a hook, and I am dubious of using anything more flimsy - imagine the result if it let go and descended directly onto the Christmas cake. Also, many cavity fittings need to fix a firm surface like wood to plasterboard in order to hold them in place while being screwed up, although I supposed I could use a flanged hook.

Any suggestions or recommendations, please, to save our Christmas meal from disaster? Many thanks,
Alec.

Sponsored Links
You can fix a hook to a spring toggle, but you'll need one with the same thread, obviously......you could probably fabricate something from a long 5mm screw - plus some imagination!
Having a flange (nut and washer) will allow the toggle to pull tight.
John :)

I assume the light fitting has cover plate that fits tight to the ceiling. If so, then you could make a hole large enough that would let you slip in a strip of steel, say 20mm x 3mm of 300mm long. In the middle of this you have a tapped hole to hang the fittings from.
This strip will then spread the light weight over a much larger area of the ceiling boarding.

I assume the light fitting has cover plate that fits tight to the ceiling. If so, then you could make a hole large enough that would let you slip in a strip of steel, say 20mm x 3mm of 300mm long. In the middle of this you have a tapped hole to hang the fittings from.
This strip will then spread the light weight over a much larger area of the ceiling boarding.

Or a strip of slightly thicker wood. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for those ideas. Actually there's no cover at the top, just a plain chain all the way up; however, I could simply poke a strong steel rod through the top link and ease that up into the ceiling. I would still need to cover the larger hole, but I could probably rob a conical cover off another light fitting. Thanks, guys!
Alec

Hook into both joists then a (matching the chandelier) rod between them.
Hang the thing from that.

It can move anywhere between them then and will be a talking point :

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back