Heavy light shade and a plaster ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I have purchased a large 1940s style factory light shade for our living room which weighs 5kg, so this will need to be hung from a joist/noggin. Thats fine and I can do this. The problem I have is that there is an ornate Victorian plaster ceiling rose, the centre of which drops about 5inches from the ceiling. How would I go about fixing a steel ceiling rose with hook to the joist through the plaster rose? Is it as crude as a pair of 7inch screws going straight through the plaster rose and into the joist?

There is a manufactured hole through the middle of he plaster rose for the cable drop, so I could potentially run the chain from the light fitting through this hole to a hook on the joist - thus eliminating the need for the steel ceiling rose hook; however this would mean the chain and cable simply disappears into the ceiling via the cylindrical hole in the plaster rose. Would this be visually inappropriate - I have tried to find an image of this on google but I'm struggling, so it's either my search terms or this simply isnt the done thing??

Thanks for any and all replies

Andy

Sponsored Links
Ignoring the aesthetics of plaster ceiling roses with factory light shades ...

the chain must be supported by a suitable hook; usually a conduit box would be flushed into the plaster rose and fitted with a hook outlet plate
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/COHP.html

The conduit box or other fitting will need to be screwed through the plasterrose and through the ceiling into joists/noggins.

Taking the flex through the plasterrose would mean that its terminals would be inaccessible.

Sponsored Links
OwainDIYer:

I think the original features (coving, skirting, oak boards, fireplace ceiling roses etc) will be complimented with a retro industrial look. But each to their own I guess...

Cheers for the tip, I thought that would be the case for securing it.

Foxhole, thanks for that. Think I'll go with the first suggestion as I have seen a nice one [EDIT: "ceiling rose hook"] at a reclamation yard

Any other outside the box would be insightful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back