How do I hang this light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
D314DB18-310C-4BB5-BA95-A11C446DFE98.jpeg 97CA4731-4A0E-471E-9462-1DAFFBFECCE6.jpeg B3C83F02-B04F-4F85-8D89-14B77B6541E2.jpeg
Hi,

I’m trying to fit this rather heavy light to a plasterboard ceiling with a plastic decorative ceiling rose.

I had it up temporarily with a screw in hook and (don’t judge me) cable ties but now that we’ve decorated, I need a permanent solution.

directly above the centre is a 100mm joist.
For other ceiling lights I’ve fitted a piece of wood between two joists but with this being directly above, I can’t do that.

my only thoughts are a longer screw in hook that will come down far enough to hook the bracket over - or a bolt all the way through the joist - not sure if that would work though the hole would need to be near the edge of the joist.

Sponsored Links
Dill a couple of holes in the bracket that you're holding in the second pic and attach to the joist. Drop the bolts through the fitting, cutting to size as necessary whilst maintaining the thread. Presumably the light comes with some sort of domed screw/nut for attaching to the underside of the fitting, for aesthetic purposes.

If the supply is not already drilled through the joist, or to the side of it, you might need to move the fitting over.

Blup

You could discard the plate and fit with two long screws right thru to the ceiling...

That’s a good idea - the bracket itself has two other holes so I could use those and keep the original bolts that hold the light.

just a question now of finding wood screws that are long enough to go deep enough into the joist.

Sponsored Links
That’s a good idea - the bracket itself has two other holes so I could use those and keep the original bolts that hold the light.

just a question now of finding wood screws that are long enough to go deep enough into the joist.
Wood screw readily available up to around 200mm.

Be careful not to overtighten the woodscrew, you can fit an offcut of mdf or softwood inside the light fitting to prevent the casing crumpling and screw through both

Blup

could have been a bed , then I would have assumed it was a bedroom.
or a vw passat then I would have assumed a garage.
or even a boarded apex with a velux window . guess what that assumption would have been?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back