Kitchen help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new kitchen is arriving next Thursday. I am confidnet with DIY and have no issues about fitting the units. There is only a few things troubling me so would like a bit of advice please.

1: The units are pre built, the doors are not hung and no metalwork is fitted. I was told that the places to fit the hinges are already pre drilled however the I will have to drill the holes to fit the handles myself. I have done a Google search but can't find a jig for this job, does such a thing exist? if not how do I go about fixing the handles.

2: All appliances are to be integrated. The doors for these will have no cutouts for the hinges, again I have tried to find a jig online for this purpose but can't seem to find one.

Any help most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure anyone would buy such a jig. Determine where you want the handles and make one yourself for free. The amount you'll be using it dont bother buying anything. Measure twice cut once.

You can make a jig yourself out of plinth, easy enough to do - not so easy to explain - I'll sort you a diagram out before Thursday.

Under worktop integrated fridge/freezer/diswashers screw to the appliances and don't need hinge holes, washing machines do and may require you to drill your own hinge holes (if you're having one that is), hinge hole borers are readily available and will do the job in a decent cordless drill.

Thanks for your help. The two appliances that need doors with hinges are the tumble drier and washing machine. Any idea where I can get the hinge borer from?

Sponsored Links
Simon - you will find that the doors for your appliances are probably 'standard' doors so should have the hinge holes pre-drilled, if not then get: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=11596&ts=04323 (which should be used in a drill-press {drilling machine} or router) - 'cos there's no pilot drill on these things you can't use them in a hand-held drill as they'll 'wander').

Handle jig - make one out of a thin piece of ply then clamp onto door when drilling, also put a scrap bit of wood at the back of the door to prevent 'break-out' of the wood when your triwt drill emerges.

Thank you very much guys :D

Just another question while I'm here; How do I fit the plinth to the appliances?

No need, just run the plinth past, and if your appliance is at the end of a run - screw a block to the end panel immediately behind the plinth line to stop the end of the plinth "wafting".

plinth fixings are supplied with most integrated appliances, but I rarely bother.

Hi all, thanks again for the replies. Just had a bit of a tidy up in the kitchen and put the appliances in their places to check they fit! Got a bit of a problem though, the integrated tumble drier has a vent running along the bottom and then a gap of around 2 inches to the floor. obviusoly I can't cover the vent with the plinth, but how would you cover the gap at the bottom. I thought about cutting the plinth to fit, but as it will be nearly 3 metres long and the section under the drier being in the middle I am worried this will snap.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :D

Simon - are you saying that there'll be a u-shaped cut-out, the width of the dryer & approx 100mm deep? Or is the vent narrower?

Big wide vent - brace the remaining section of plinth (on the back edge) with a long strip steel (pre-drilled strapping from DIY shed or builders merchant). We finish off integrated fridge & freezer plinth vents by drilling a series of 80mm dia holes, with a hole saw, then cover with brushed aluminium or stainless steel vent plates to match the ss sink & socket outlets.

Hi Symptons, thank you ver much for your advice so far.

This is the drier we have got if this helps:

43AW.jpg

Simon - you won't have a problem with the cut-out for the vent as there'll be pleanty of 'meat' left in the plinth below. If you lack confidence about the strength of the plinth (say when removing it to service the appliances) use the steel strapping method; I don't think you need to.

Cheers for the reply. What would be the best way/tool to cut the cut-out out so it nice and straight.

What a bizarre sentence :LOL:

Jigsaw, don;t worry if your cut line isn't perfect as the vent cover will cover the cuts anyway.

Simon - chirpy is correct, a jig saw would do the job; most appliance vents are detachable and slide on from the front so cover the cuts. Check to see if yours does, if not I'd use a circular saw with fine teeth to make the long cut and finish off with a handsaw. If you only have a jig saw clamp a fence to the plinth to ensure a straight cut - correct blade & go gently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back