Kitchen hood extractor / xpelair device - required for B.R?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Knocking through a small kitchen into a dining room and adding a utility room onto the side of the kitchen whilst revamping the kitchen totally.

Have checked the local authorities website and cannot find any mention that either a cooker hood or xpelair device are mandatory.

Does anyone know if they are pls?

Sponsored Links
If you are doing work under BR, I believe that kitchen extraction ( and bathroom extraction) is mandatory. I don't have rate requirement to hand but it can be either extractor or hood, I believe as long as it meets the criteria.

Does this help?
http://www.supremeuk.com/pdf/system1.pdf

30 litres/second adjacent to the hob or 60 litres/second elsewhere.

If you are doing work under BR, I believe that kitchen extraction ( and bathroom extraction) is mandatory. I don't have rate requirement to hand but it can be either extractor or hood, I believe as long as it meets the criteria.

Thanks for the reply - I guess that makes sense - but not the answer we ideally wanted!!

Anymore for anymore on this please?

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys - thats very helpful about the extraction rates of these devices.

Just need to be 100% sure that one of these is needed now.

If you're working under BR, they are required, i.e you're working under a Builder's Notice or a detailed BR application.

You may not be asked to provide mechanical extraction to the kitchen if it already exists... as you're only increasing the size of the kitchen. However, as you're carrying out building works to those areas, there's no harm in installing one (if you don't already have one). Check with your BCO.

As for the utility, under Building Regulations, you are required to install a mechanical extract fan, which is capable of extracting min. 30 litres per second. You also need an openable window to provide background ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back