Kitchen induction hobs, oven and worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hopefully I've posted this on the correct section.

I'm getting a kitchen fitted at the moment we have 22ml worktops, the instructions on the induction hobs says it requires 30ml worktops.

The worktop was. Already cut out to accommodate the induction hob, by builder says he could raise the hob by around 2mls to allow for more ventilation, but seems to think it shouldn't be a big issue.

I'm not sure either way, not my domain

Any ideas?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You may find 30mm is required because of the depth of the hob.
The required air gap is usually shown separately on the installation diagram.
It may be possible to put 8mm battens around the edge of the cut out to give the required depth for any fixings but you will also need to consider extra supports below to prevent bowing of the worktop.

Thanks for that,

I'm abit annoyed if that's the case as we had the kitchen designed by howdens and surely they should know this sort of stuff to pass on to customers.

Thanks for the advice

Surely it will mean the hob will stick out 8mm below the worktop and possibly snag on drawers underneath.

Did Howdens supply both the hob and worktop? If so down to them. If you supplied one of both probably down to you.

Sponsored Links
Howdens supplied the worktop, I bought the hob.

Howdens were going to supply a hob and never mention that 22mm worktop could be an issue for induction hobs.

Only reason I didn't go with them for their hob was because they wanted to sell me a Lamona one which I was told. To avoid

Howdens supplied the worktop, I bought the hob.

Howdens were going to supply a hob and never mention that 22mm worktop could be an issue for induction hobs.

Only reason I didn't go with them for their hob was because they wanted to sell me a Lamona one which I was told. To avoid

22mm is quite thin for a worktop. Guess that was down to price. To be fair Howdens cannot know the sizes of all induction hobs, especially ones they don't sell.

To be hobest I think they were the same price, we went for it based on looks rather than anything else.

No I agree, though I had a look online briefly and it appeared that nearly all inductions were around the same depth.

I wonder how people with 20mm quartz worktops manage

Like Winston says, as far am I aware, the reason for the minimum worktop depth is that otherwise the hob will protrude into the unit below.

What is below? If its a single oven you can move the oven shelf 10mm lower and put some filler strip above. If it's a cupboard then no problem. If it's drawers or a double oven then you may need to rethink.

All. Sorted now thanks guys.

Was a case of lowering the oven unit in the end, he didn't want to do that based on aesthetics, but it seems the most logical way rounds things at the moment and doesn't look out of place at all.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back