Kitchen is half concrete/wood - Can I use Self Level?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

Firstly, Merry Xmas! Hope you had a gooden.

As the title implies, we have ripped out the vinyl in the Kitchen to reveal a half concrete, half wooden floor (wooden floorboards). There is a dip/drop/rise where they both meet (approx. 0.5cm).

We were thinking of tiling and have been advised to level the floor.

A builder mentioned that I could get a thin sheet of plywood and nail it to the floorboards, which would eliminate the 0.5cm gap. After that we could use self level.

After Googling, I have learned that wood floors constantly expand and contract, the self leveling concrete would detach and shale within days. Tje next thing I researched was backer board but apparently even backer board will not hold the self leveling stuff, for it will be too thin.

So my question is, how do I level the floor?

If you'd like pictures of the floor, please let me know.

Thank you and Merry Xmas again! [/b]

Sponsored Links
I had the same situation with floor substrates. My tiler braced the floor joists, replaced the floorboards with ply, then poured leveling compound over the whole lot. It's been down for a couple of months and seems to be holding up ok, though I do find the hollow echo when I walk on the old wooden side a bit disconcerting.

ok you have to differant substrates,so you will have to treat them differantely...as you have said..movement this is the key thing to a certain tile failure...

timber....
lift your floorboards check joist spans etc...
then seal underside and edges of wbp ply with sbr, (22mm/25mm and lay to same level as concrtete,leave a 5-10mm gap between them.

conctrete floor sweep/clean and apply a sbr or acrylic primer to this...(helps adhesion of addy and stops dust from interfereing with addy also)

tile fixing
you will NEED a exspansion/movement joint placed between the subtrates and follow up through your tiles..some come in colours to match your grout..

movement joints from...
shutler
gradus
genesis

dont forget a quality flexiable cement based adhesive/grout...

what type of tiles/size are you fixing?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back