How to self level half concrete/half wood Kitchen floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

Firstly, Merry Xmas! Hope you had a gooden.

As the title implies, we have ripped out the vinyl in the Kitchen to reveal a half concrete, half wooden floor (wooden floorboards). There is a dip/drop/rise where they both meet (approx. 0.5cm).

We were thinking of tiling and have been advised to level the floor.

A builder mentioned that I could get a thin sheet of plywood and nail it to the floorboards, which would eliminate the 0.5cm gap. After that we could use self level.

After Googling, I have learned that wood floors constantly expand and contract, the self leveling concrete would detach and shale within days. Tje next thing I researched was backer board but apparently even backer board will not hold the self leveling stuff, for it will be too thin.

So my question is, how do I level the floor?

If you'd like pictures of the floor, please let me know.

Thank you and Merry Xmas again! [/b]

Sponsored Links
Ply wooden 1/2, fixing every 100mm around edges and 150mm across middle, fill joint between ply and conc to stop compound running down gap (I normally use silicone), prime floors, go over the whole lot with stopgap 700 (google it - it's designed for use over all types of floor and is flexible).

Ply wooden 1/2, fixing every 100mm around edges and 150mm across middle, fill joint between ply and conc to stop compound running down gap (I normally use silicone), prime floors, go over the whole lot with stopgap 700 (google it - it's designed for use over all types of floor and is flexible).

Pete,

I forgot to tell you that I am a BIG TIME noob so when you say "Ply wooden 1/2, fixing every 100mm around edges and 150mm across middle", I feel like Rain Man.

Please can you translate your reply in a more idiot-friendly way?

Thank you mate![/i]

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=77960

Read the above post.

In your case as your installing ceramic tiles? you would need thicker plywood to stop the tiles flexing and cracking.

Have you considered something like a Karndean flooring ?

Cheers Matt.

I was thinking of either going with Marble or Porcelain tiles.

The guide in the link above seems pretty slick but I have a couple of noob questions.

1. Do I buy Plywood that is 0.5cm thick? (the exact size of the rise between floorboards and concrete area) or do I buy thicker plywood (as per your comments above). If so, how thicker?

2. "Should be nailed / stapled at approx 6 inch centers and 2 inch centers around the edge (the more the better)" - what does 6 inch centres mean? (sorry for being dense).

Thank you mate!

6 " centers means that there should be a fixing every 6" (or 150mm) accross the center of the board.

So in other words if you drew a line every 6" accross the width and agian down the length you would need a fixing every where the lines crossed (end up with lots of 6" boxes if that make sence) ?

You may find this a good guide http://www.theflooringforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=368

Its full of pictures. You may also find looking at alot of the pictures on there a good idea as there are different types of flooring being installed.

Getting back to you wanting ceramics. There are afew different ways to prep the subfloor for these. The method above is going to give you to much flex. You may be better laying down some 6mm plywood first to bring the heights the same and then lay amybe a 18mm plywood over the whole lot to end up with one solid floor.

Or you can uplift your floorboards and maybe install a 25mm plywood and then screed the concrete side upto the correct level.

To be honest, if it was me i would use that link i have posted above and have a good look at the pictures on that forum of karndean etc. Im not keen on ceramics due to them being cold, cracking etc if you drop something or more in your case if there is a movement between the two subfloors.

Maybe ask them lot over there what they think as most install both types of floorcoverings

Mate,

You are a diamond. Thank you very much for posting the link, it was very informative.

Now I need to ask one more thing.

The kitchen floor has been ripped us as I previously mentioned but the units, fridge and new gas cooker are installed. So I have a pretty complete kitchen with a messed up floor.

Before doing the above, do I have to move everything out? Or can I still do it all with everything in its place. I'm going to have to take pictures and show you.

Cheers again!

all work can be done with items in place. I would remove the cooker if its free standing?

Ye pics would be good if you need some more guidence. Im normally on the other forum tho so not sure if you want to post here and over there maybe so you can people helping you on both sides?

I do pop on here once a week tho.

By the way im 'matt' on the other forum.

Thanks again matt.

Unfortunately the cooker is not freestanding. If you pop back on in about 60 mins, ill post you the links to some new pictures. Gonna get snapping now.

Cheers!

Got the pics, just looking for a place to upload them. Should be ready in 15 mins. Watch this space.

Thanks again

I would be going over the wooden section and over the tiles with 6mm plywood. I would then do the same again but this time lipping the plywood onto the concrete as you should now be higher?

From this point on follow the link i put up to the other forum.

Morning Matt,

Thanks for looking at the pictures.

In your last comment you said you would go over the wooden and tiled section with 6mm Plywood. I was thinking of removing the tiles before laying the plywood. Does that matter or shall I leave them be?

Another point to note is that the dip actually measures in at exactly 2mm. So would the thickness of the Plywood need to be 3mm? If yes to 3mm, then there'll be a 1mm overlap where it meets the concrete. Is that ok?

I have posted a new pic, in an effort to interpret your most recent post. Is the following image correct in understanding what you meant:

http://img146.imageshack.us/i/cimg2227m.jpg/

The last part of your comment you mentioned that you would do the same again but this time lipping the Plywood onto the concrete (remember we already have a 1mm lip if we go with the 3mm).

Does that mean, after fixing the first sheet of 3mm Plywood down, you would purchase another 3mm sheet and lay/fix it over the top of the first one, therefore making the total height 4mm (3mm + 1mm above) at the concrete intersection.

I apologise again for my ignorance. Your help and assistance on this has been absolutely invaluable.

sorry i have missed a bit out of my post, yes remove the tiles if possible. Go over the top if you cant but you would need two layers of 6mm to take out the slight dips. 3mm plywood would be to thin to go over the tiles as it would pull the dip in the plywood.

When im talking about lipping onto the concrete im talking about taking the plywood onto the concrete by about 5 cm that then needs to be glued onto the concrete. (as in the pics of that link)

But dont forget that this prep is only good for karndean/amtico etc. For ceramics you need to be much thicker with the prep or remove the floorboards and install a thick plywood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back