Kitchen Island Worktop material ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a kitchen designed and they have put in a very nice center island (1600x1600mm). This island contains the sink and drainer unit at one end with two corner units next to it and the back end of it open for a seating area.

It was designed to have a Granite top, however, we are looking in the region of £1500-£2000 for the granite alone, so it is way outside our budget.

Are there any other cost effective solutions? Laminate is the obvious answer but this would involve more than one join (4 pieces to get edging all the way round)

The wife does not like the idea of solid wood so I am struggling for ideas

Any thoughts would be great,

thanks

Matt Houldsworth

Sponsored Links
masona: Interesting idea, what would you use as a base for the tiles? 18mm MDF? Ply?

Theoretically how would one joint Laminate to get a 1600x1600mm square? It is too wide as far as I know to just have tow bits back to back so I would think you would need to have a centre panel?

Two 900mm breakfast bars back to back would work, you will have to cut 100mm of each one at the back to get a becent joint which can be done like you would a corner joint with bolts and colorfil.

Also depending on the layout you could have the eating area at a lower height which would save having to use tall stools, something like this

Jason

Sponsored Links
Thanks Jason, what about the two edges that do not have the curved edge? I suppose edging strip could be used just don't know how it would look.

Any problems with a join close to the sink? Water ingress etc?

Two heights is a possibility. Looks neat, especially in that two colour/texture.

Thanks again
Matt

masona: Interesting idea, what would you use as a base for the tiles? 18mm MDF? Ply?
I have used 2 x 18mm exterior plywood glued together and overlapping any joins, I can take a photo of my tiled worktop

A photograph would be great if you have time... then the boss can decide what she wants!

Sorry about the mess! Approximately 12 yrs old
SDC14703.jpg

SDC14702.jpg

SDC14690.jpg

Thanks foxhole, masona

It is a neat idea. I have seen some floor tiles in B&Q which are big enough to cover the area using 4 tiles so might be an option.

Thanks Again

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back