KITCHEN LIGHT HELL!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi could anyone please help me, im relitively new to wiring light fittings so forgive me if i sound thick. I am wiring a light in a kitchen, the existing fitting is 2 sets of wires, each having red, black and yellow/green wires. They all went into a long 8 hole connector which was split into a 3, 3 and a 2.
I stupidy disconnected the entire thing and thought i could just use one set of wires which would link upto the new fitting inside the light. This fitting has a brown , blue and yellow/green connector. I did red to brown black to blue and earth to earth.
Turned the power back on and nothing happened, when i swithed it on/off.
So I removed this set of wires and used the other set thinking that perhaps i was using the wrong set. When i tried this however the light wouldnt go off!!!
My missus then intervened and linked all the six wires from the ceiling back into the 8 hole connector and linked up the light, had to leave out one of the earth wires from the ceiling but all that did was to blow the fuses!!
CAN ANYBODY HELP PLEASE THANKS........IM DESPERATE

Sponsored Links
I did red to brown black to blue and earth to earth.
Turned the power back on and nothing happened, when i swithed it on/off.
That cable is your switch wire

So I removed this set of wires and used the other set thinking that perhaps i was using the wrong set. When i tried this however the light wouldnt go off!!!
And that cable is your feed.

Connect the black from your switch wire to the brown of your light.
Mark the black with some red tape as this cable is live when the switch is on

Connect the red feed to the red switch wire in a sperate connector block

Connect the black (neutral) feed to the blue in your light.

Connect both earths to the earth in your light.

Oh, and tell your wife this is mans work :D

Right, pretty simple one this,

One of the wires is the supply, one goes to the switch, the reds of both go together and to nothing else (this would have been the middle three block on the old rose. The black from the switch wire is sleeved as red and goes to live (brown) of the fitting (this was the two block on the old rose), the neutral from the supply(the other black) goes to neutral on the light (blue) (this would have been done in the other three block on the rose

All earths must be connected to the earth terminal You cann't just leave one of them out if you are finding it difficult to terminate

Now telling which is the switch cable and which is the supply, well if you can remember from before, the switch cable would have made it not work at all, and the supply cable would have made it work all the time with no way to switch it off ;) *, if you can't remember back, then a multimeter can be used to identify which is which, or the experient can be repeated (but put the unconnected wire in a spare strip of choc block, having live wires poking out of the ceiling is not a good situation)

*And closing a switch wired directly across the supply will indeed result in a bit of a bang and a fuse to replace :LOL:

Many thanks for your responces, it now works fine. Ive got another room with the same wire set up so i can now sort that as well, thanks again :p :p

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back