Kitchen Light - Please Help!

Loop is the key word.
Its a s plain as day what to fit to where.

Put the old one back and call someone.
Will be safer.

Sponsored Links
Have you worked out which T&E cable is live and switch live?
If not you need to establish that first using your multi-meter.
Turn the power off to the circuit first.
Turn the new fitted switch on.
You now want to test for low ohm continuity across the Twin & earth cables at the ceiling rose i.e. put the meter clips across the brown and blue cables.
Once you have established which T&E cable is acting as the live/switch live then mark it. Double check it is the right one by turning the switch off and testing across the same marked cable again - you should get no reading.

Having establish that use the terminal block.
Put all three brown live conductors into one terminal (live loop)- put the two neutral blue conductors into another (neutral loop). Put the blue marked (brown sleeve) conductor which is your switch live into the third and your sleeved earths into the fourth (earth loop).
At you lamp you should have brown and blue and possibly earth. Put the lamp earth the earth terminal block, the lamp brown to the blue(brown sleeved) switch live terminal block and the lamp blue to the neutral terminal block.

The light switch wont even click.

Sounds like that during your "trial and error" you have banged 230v across the switch. They don't like that so you'll probably need a new switch.

What sort of switch is it?

Well I have to thank everyone for their advice with this. I bought a multimeter along with a new switch from toolstation, and its all fixed.

NOW, I'd like to know where I'm going wrong with getting the new light fitted. The light I've bought has 1 green, 1 blue and 1 brown wire and has a terminal block with 8 ports in it.

I connect the wires through the terminal port (as it says in the instructions) but then I have some other wires left over. What do I do with these? View media item 42388 View media item 42389

in my earlier post I advised you of the ceiling rose scenario i.e. 4 terminals being live , loop , neutral and earth , just do the same with the 4 terminals in the connector block

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back