Help with lights disaster

one thing though.what was that connector block all about with the blacks and blue in it.?

Sounds like neutrals at the switch.

That would explain why the breaker keeps tripping when red / black are connected together.
exactly what i was thinking mate.or a dodgy fitting.really need to know what cores are at the switch with the connector block.could piece it together from there.could be a dodgy switchline also.my money still on a dodgy light fitting though.
RF fancy an internet fiver on it lol!

Sponsored Links
I think I've got an idea of what has happened.

Give me 15 mins on MS paint, and all shall be revealed :LOL:

I had a very similar sounding problem when I was replacing all the switches in my flat, including changing some from doubles to singles.

This is what I learned: YOU CANNOT REWIRE AN OLD HOUSE OVER THE INTERNET.

If you think you can work through the steps yourself, and you have an electrical screwdriver so you can identify the live circuit, and you have a logical understanding of why there are so many wires in there.... then try to fix it yourself slowly and carefully and without touching anything when the power is on.

Otherwise. Get out a torch and make do until you can get someone who does understand it to come round.

I eventually learned the basics of wiring, but it was a lengthy and scary process. And I'm very logical and fairly fearless. So it depends on you!

Sponsored Links
Right, here we go.

From what I can gather you switches should be wired like this:

switches1.jpg

But, the yellow wire in the 3&E may be damaged (short circuit)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back