Kitchen light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

Would appreciate help with this

Hard to take photos of the back due to very short wires but it’s a 3 switch light switch with:

COM / 1 WAY / 2 WAY / COM on top row

1 WAY / 2 WAY / COM / 1 WAY / 2 WAY on bottom

Both top COM have a wire going to bottom COM in v shape

Top 1 WAY has a wire connected

Top right hand COM has two further wires connected

Both bottom 1 WAY have one wire connected each

Two earth wires are connected to metal box and 5 neutral wires are all capped off together at the back of the box.

Looking from the front, the left hand switch turns off a light in next room if that light is on

The middle switch turns on/off kitchen lights

Right hand switch does nothing.

IMG_1581.jpeg

IMG_1582.jpeg

I don’t need it to control the other room

I’d like to change the above for the below switch instead so that one switch does one set of kitchen lights and the other switch does another set of kitchen lights. Both are on separate wires and did used to do this before I messed this up!

IMG_1583.jpeg

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
With the existing set up ,what lights currently can not be switched on and off ?
Does the light in " next room" have another switch that it is connected to ?

Hi Terry

Yes the other room has another switch which is all we need to control those lights

In the kitchen there are two sets of pendants which are wired separately. The current switch used to turn those on/off separately using different switches (until I re wired it wrongly after giving up)

Thank you

Before you altered the original wiring ,did any of the 3 switches ever operate the light in the other room ,in any way at all ?
The short bridging wires connecting between the COM terminals are basically bringing live supply to each switch ,the L terminals being the outputs

Sponsored Links
No they didn’t.

The bridging wires were definitely there before I messed about with it

Below is a photo before I touched anything. I can’t for the life of me figure out which one I’ve done wrong (nor how to make it work in the new switch)

IMG_1577.jpeg

So your last pic is taken before you moved any wires, why did you want to move any wires ?
And what did each switch operate ,assuming that two of them each operated individual banks of pendants in kitchen ,what did the third switch control ???

Yes last pic is before I moved anything.

Third switch has never done anything since we moved in a year ago.

I moved the wires to connect to the new switch (in original post). Tried to match it up but nothing made sense and new switch didn’t work thus put it back but clearly got wires incorrect and now have made the extension lights operational again as I’m assuming original owners did long time ago before disconnecting it.

And yes two switches operated the two separate pendants.

Any suggestions?

Appreciate the help

Does the middle switch turn on and off both sets of kitchen pendants ?
Your descriptions are not making much sense, what do extension lights have to do with anything ?

No, the middle switch only turns on/off one pendant.

The second pendant is on/off depending on the fuse only at the moment

Sorry, by extension, I mean building extension; that’s the other light that these switch used to control (and now do again)

The second pendant is on/off depending on the fuse only at the moment
Does the above mean that the second pendant is on permanently ,and can only be turned off by removing a fuse somewhere ,or turning off the entire circuit at the main fuseboard ?

Referring to your pic of wiring before you removed anything ,which two switches independently operated the two kitchen lights ?

One of the 2 brown wires in com terminal of left hand switch( viewed from front) is the Switch line to pendants that are permanently on ( not the short bridging wire) it needs to be removed and swapped with the wire that is in the L ( one way) terminal of that left hand switch.
Do you have any voltage testing instruments to use to establish which of the two brown wires it is ?

Last edited:
Yes I’ve got a voltage multimeter

I’ll give this a go!

Assuming this then returns the lights/switch back to its original setting, what configuration do I need for the new switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back