Kitchen Lighting Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two lots of 4 GU10 downlighters installed in my kitchen, with one master set and the second set "additional" lights which can only be turned on when the main ones are on.

Anyway, last night went to turn the lights on and it appears one of the bulbs blew and tripped the switch on the distribution board. After resetting and checking bulbs (and replacing blown one) the lights are still not working. Can anyone give me some idea of things I could check myself (with limited electrical/DIY skills) or am I going to need to call an electrician in to diagnose and fix?

Sponsored Links
if there was a short circuit when the lamp blew, it may have damaged the switch.

Do you have and know how to use a multimeter?

BTW, you may wish to prepare yourself for the onslaught of tree-huggers accusing you of destroying the planet due to your chosen method of lighting.

But just so long as it looks good and you like it, carry on :cool:

Sure they are GU10?

Maybe (just maybe) they are 12 volt lamps and the transformer/driver has failed. Some 12 volt lighting arrangements use a single transformer while others use one transformer per light (and almost anything in between)

Have a really good look at your lamp and see what voltage rating is printed on it. If 12 volt then good chance of a transformer failure. If so then it (the transformer) will probably be above one of the lights in the ceiling)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies - swapped out the dimmer switch for a normal switch, and now working again, so guess the bulb blowing blew the switch as well. Nice to have it sorted without calling out the experts. Cheers for the pointer mikhailfaradayski.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back