Kitchen light blew now no main lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Last night the kitchen light bulb blew and knocked the trip switch so turned it all of and removed old bulb. Iv reset the switches on fuses and I have no main lights only sockets this is through the whole house. Iv spoke to my landlord and is away for bank holiday weekend so not about to come have a look.
Any ideas???

Sponsored Links
Does your CU have any Isolators with RCD protection on them.
Could be that when your lights tripped the RCD went and the sockets are not covered by the RCD.
The RCD unit normally has a switch like the MCB and a little test button on it.
If you are unsure could you upload a picture of the unit?
Are all you lights on the same circuit or are they split?

Have you checked that there lighting circuit isn't additionally protected by an RCD - photograph of your consumer unit would be helpful. I take it you have only one lighting circuit?

Lighting circuits generally adopt a loop in system either at the ceiling rose or the switch - if this loop is broken then none of the lights after the break will work - It is possible that your kitchen light is the first on the loop.
With the power off check that none of the wires at the ceiling rose are loose and replace the broken bulb.

Sponsored Links
Check again there are no 'trip switches' left off anywhere. And if there are, what are they?

Check there are no separate 'fuse boxes' anywhere.

Check you have circuit breakers - before these were the norm cartridge fuses and fuse wire were commonly used.

It would also be useful to be able to check for continuity and voltage by the use of the something like a multimeter or continuity tester and an approved voltage tester.
As a couple of other things worth looking at:
If all your devices (mcb/rcd/fuse etc) are in the closed position and you have no power to the circuit.
Check that the conductors for this circuit are tight within the MCB/fuse terminal for phase and the neutral conductor is tight in the neutral bar and neutral terminal if RCBO.
When doing any work on electrics, before you remove any covers, isolate and once removed prove the circuit is dead using approved equipment.

Iv spoke to my landlord and is away for bank holiday weekend so not about to come have a look.
Well.

I'm sure he charges you the same rent over a BH weekend as the rest of the time, so he needs to provide the same service. OK - minor stuff can be postponed, no point being unreasonable, but no lighting in the house is not a minor problem.

It would also be useful to be able to check for continuity and voltage by the use of the something like a multimeter or continuity tester and an approved voltage tester.
As a couple of other things worth looking at:
If all your devices (mcb/rcd/fuse etc) are in the closed position and you have no power to the circuit.
Check that the conductors for this circuit are tight within the MCB/fuse terminal for phase and the neutral conductor is tight in the neutral bar and neutral terminal if RCBO.
When doing any work on electrics, before you remove any covers, isolate and once removed prove the circuit is dead using approved equipment.

None of that is up to the tennant to do. The landlord needs to get an electrician out today. If he has to pay a bank hoilday cal out fee then tough. That's what you pay your rent for. OP get on to your landlord. Tell him that waiting in a dark house for him to return from whereever he is is completely unacceptable, and you want someone out to this TODAY. Do not take no for an answer.

If he says no then book an electrician yourself and deduct the cost from next months rent.

None of that is up to the tennant to do. The landlord needs to get an electrician out today. If he has to pay a bank hoilday cal out fee then tough. That's what you pay your rent for. OP get on to your landlord. Tell him that waiting in a dark house for him to return from whereever he is is completely unacceptable, and you want someone out to this TODAY. Do not take no for an answer.
I was simply offering advise, as the op did ask, if I understood correctly for ideas on how they can resolve the problem or where the problem may lie!
Any ideas???
Of course it is an issue that the landlord should be sorting out, with immediate affect! and they should be sending a person around that is competent to resolve the issue.
I have not got the full terms and conditions of the op's tenancy agreement to read, so can not know for sure what agreement they have in place when issue like this arise. I don't think it will be as simple as call a tradesman in and deduct from rent!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back