Kitchen lights and extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night I switched on the Kitchen lights and they came on for a split second then went off, they now wont come on at all and the extractor fan wont come on. I have a two way switch which operates these and also the dining room light wont work yet the living room and hallway lights do. The dining room light works off a three way switch which also controls the living room light and the upstairs light and these work fine.

I have done the basics of checking for loose wires and checked fuse and changed fuse and changed bulbs but to no avail.

Here's hoping someone can suggest something for me to look for.

p.s. i took the kitchen switch apart and the contacts for the switches looked a bit black (dont know if this is relevant)

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
You are suffering from a broken feed.
Lighting is supplied in series on a radial circuit.
The rooms where the lighting works are closest to the CU.
The most likely cause is a loose or open cicuit connection between the last working ceiling rose and the first non-working one. You will need a meter or the assistance of a competent electrician

Thanks for your reply

I'll get someone in and suggest that solution to them

Cheers

Just on a quick note when I opened the two way kitchen switch it had three red wires connected to the switch contacts and three black wires connected to a seperate piece of plastic (sorry, don't know the technical term), just wanted to know if this was normal.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Do you have two switches for the kitchen (i.e. one at each end) or is it a 2gang switch? Sound like 2gang with the neutrals looped through the switch (in terminal block.)

very strange!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walked into the kitchen and without thinking turned on the switch then didn't realise for a few good seconds that the lights were on, tried the extractor and that worked and tried dining room light and that worked. The only thing was when I turned kitchen lights on the first couple of times after finding out they work, the dining room light flickered a little but has since stopped doing this.

Thanks for the quick replies , I will use this forum again next time I have a problem(hopefully not for a long time)

If I were you I'd have them checked out by a competent person in any case as you most likely have a loose connection somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back