Kitchen on a budet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

My kitchen is currently an empty room, 3m*5m

I went into wickes last night with the exact measurements with where everything is. An hour an half later I got a bunch of prints out and a design layout that I was really happy with. THe price tag however was 7k down from 13K with discounts. This didn’t include installation of 2k.

My question is. Is it possible to mix and match, IE get the base and wall carcases from different places like eBay etc, then just put on the work tops and doors and side panels.

Or, do you have to have the same doors and carcases from the same manufacturer or do you just drill the hinges where required?

Hope this all makes sense and thanks in advance.

Much appreciated

CoXen

Sponsored Links
The carcases for base and wall units are standard sizes, so standard doors can be fitted.
You will find that not all carcases are of the same colour, wood type or quality if you are buying from different suppliers.
It maybe worth seeing if you can get a cheap ex-display, but I have always found B&Q to be cheaper than Wickes and have some okay kitchens.
I would also consider searching around for a kitchen fitter, rather that using the store recomended ones.

Thanks for coming back to me. I've been looking at all these cheap MFI ones on ebay, there seems to be dones on there at a fraction of the price. I thought I should be able to get a large percentage of them off there. Something to look for though would be different colours.

take a look in your local friday ad or free ad type paper/internet.
funny enough just this evening i looked under kitchens and there was a beauty for about 1k and there were loads on units.

Sponsored Links
7k sounds extremely steep. I have a kitchen on order from B&Q, under 4k incl range cooker + dishwasher. That's the good cabinets not the cheap IT stuff.

Am I getting confused. I thought MFI went bust a long time ago, which would mean that getting anything that by so*s law is specifically manufactured for those units would be pretty hard.

MFI did indeed go bust but still lots of places purporting to sell their bankrupt stock, and as stated most units of similar dimension so not usually a problem to mix and match except that some ranges have limited choice so best to make sure the units sizes you require are available in the specific design you want.
One exception is Ikea who are on a separate planet when it comes to kitchen units.Their units appear designed to only fit show kitchens and not those in the real world. ;)
If you know any one in trade and are within reach of a SELCO store they have some cheap kitchens at the moment.

Tried Ikea?

I went to B&Q, Wickes, Homebase and MFI when I was planning my kitchen and quality wise, the build of the Ikea stuff was as good as anybody elses.
They also have a huge range of sizes, are cheap and can usually take away the same day. I brought mine on the Ikea 21st birthday sale at a significant discount :D, and getting spares/extras is a breeze, I just go down the local store and pick it off the shelf.

Two problems with Ikea stuff (aside from being a bit boxy looking at times), one is that the units are flat back to the wall - there's no service gap so pipes will have to be rerouted through (or in my case under) the units, and also there's less wiggle room if you walls are smooth, flat and with 90 degree corners.
Second issue which caught up with me after the event is that they're slightly deeper than other makers cabinets, so the non-Ikea worktop I brought turned out to be 10mm too shallow and hence had no overhang at the front. Not an issue if you know beforehand as you can pack the back out and cover with an upstand, but I didn't realise this until all the worktops were cut and in place. Cue a few days taking all the tops off and carefully re-cutting to bring everything forward enough that I had an overhang again.

Have to agree that IKEA units are quite good. But bloody frustrating with the planning of services that has to go in due to the lack of the service void.
Just as long as the walls are dead flat and square at the corners. ;)

Still,,,,,, good units and reasonably priced. ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back